This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New OpenPlotter GPIO app available
(2020-11-03, 06:36 PM)monos1 Wrote: Have you changed the input resistance to one of a higher value such as 10K? 

Yes, removed the smaller one and replaced with a 10K

Quote:The resistans in series with the led should in total be greater than 4k7, otherwise the load will be to heavy for the ST1 network. In the end of this dokument https://github.com/SignalK/signalk-serve...3-software I have put a link to a Python program so you can check the circuit.

I have removed the 470K resistor and replaced it with a 10K meaning both R1 and R2 of the circuit below has 10K resistors

I just got a new Pi 4 today, so just setting up and I will see if it works - Thanks

Attached Files Image(s)

(2020-11-04, 05:01 AM)Techstyle Wrote: I have removed the 470K resistor and replaced it with a 10K meaning both R1 and R2 of the circuit below has 10K resistors

I just got a new Pi 4 today, so just setting up and I will see if it works - Thanks

The second resistance - R2 - must not be changed.

The input is over 12 volts and that's too much for the optocoupler but the output works with the 3.3 volts of the Rpi and the original resistor is adequate.
I still wasn't getting any flashing so I increased the resistance by adding another 10K in series and then another 20K. now I can see the LED flashing, at least some, I also added an LED on the Pi side to check that the coupler was working - see the video https://1drv.ms/v/s!AmZj-tob5pZojxGpBPyS...-?e=znrYs7

I checked the voltage going in and it is 12.8V, i can reduce this to 9v and try it but on the boat it will vary between 12-14.5v normally

just to double check - I have the yellow (ST1 data) at J1-1, ST1 GND at J1-2, I have Pi 3.3v on J2-1, GPIO4 (pin 7) on J2-2 and pi GND on J2-3
All seem ok. Remember to remove the second led before connecting to the Rpi.

¿Do you have any data?
if I am not wrong for this device you should check "invert signal"
I have the signal inverted, for now I am going to stop looking at this until I can get to the boat and confirm that the Seatalk device I have is still working
Did you get this working? My kit has just arrived and is the same as Techstyle  - I've replaced R1 with a 4K7 and left r2 as is. The default values on my were R1 - 1K and R2 - 10K

Followed this example

https://github.com/Thomas-GeDaD/Seatalk1-Raspi-reader

We're still in lockdown so I can't get to the boat to test.
(2020-12-27, 03:20 PM)Boatingbaileys Wrote: Did you get this working? My kit has just arrived and is the same as Techstyle  - I've replaced R1 with a 4K7 and left r2 as is. The default values on my were R1 - 1K and R2 - 10K

Followed this example

I did not get it working but cant confirm it wasn't the Seatalk1 hardware - I was trying to use an old Seatalk GPS receiver but I am not sure if it ever worked.  I also (unrelated) toasted my Pi's GPIO or at least I think I did.
(2020-12-28, 12:47 AM)Techstyle Wrote:
(2020-12-27, 03:20 PM)Boatingbaileys Wrote: Did you get this working? My kit has just arrived and is the same as Techstyle  - I've replaced R1 with a 4K7 and left r2 as is. The default values on my were R1 - 1K and R2 - 10K

Followed this example

I did not get it working but cant confirm it wasn't the Seatalk1 hardware - I was trying to use an old Seatalk GPS receiver but I am not sure if it ever worked.  I also (unrelated) toasted my Pi's GPIO or at least I think I did.

This topic is also addressed in this thread.
I can confirm that my setup works nicely. The Support in SignalK is excellent. The optocoupler I used cost about 1.5 EUR from China. 
Keep it simple, the module has screw terminals which makes it easy to install.
Updated openplotter-gpio v2.1.0 with support for 1W sensors:

The following w1 therm sensor devices are supported:
  • DS18S20
  • DS1822
  • DS18B20
  • DS28EA00
  • DS1825/MAX31850K
We have also introduced websocket access to Signal K server for devices managed by OpenPlotter instead of UDP connections. To enable it follow the messages you will get after updating/installing.

In the near future we will replace UPD connections by websockets in other OpenPlotter apps using UDP to send Signal K data like I2C and pypilot. Websockets are simpler, more efficient and easier to configure for newbies users.

enjoy and report!