This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Use gpsd-client : xgps
Hi everybody !
I am testing the GPSD connexion, (this daemon uses Signal K to connect to OpenCPN.)
The main advantages I found in this approach are :
  • The GPS status in the dashboard together with the NMEA debug windows which are not available in case of a direct Signal K connection...
  • The use of gpsd-clients (cgps, gpsmon) to evaluate the quality of my receivers.
I would like to use also xgps, and its skyview feature, but I can't as there is this error : 
          "TypeError: Couldn't find foreign struct converter for 'cairo.Context'." which seems linked to an absent Python3 dependency ... AS I have no skill in the matter, I would appreciate any help, guidance or solution !
Cordialement
Didier B
Pi4, SSD USB3, OP 3.0 Touch SK 3.2.1 OpenCPN  5.8.4 :  Thank you  Thank you  Thank you

Hallo Didier

For my usb-GPS i do only an connection to gpsd in "op-serial":
the signal-k connection from gpsd will be automatically created by op-serial.

This also works with an Moitessier-Hat, which additional gives its GPS & AIS-NMEA informations via gpsd to signal-k.

for you xgps problem, have an look for the fonts, aka install free-fonts etc.

good luck - holger
Big Grin 
(2020-11-05, 08:19 PM)Didier B Wrote: Hi everybody !
I am testing the GPSD connexion, (this daemon uses Signal K to connect to OpenCPN.)
The main advantages I found in this approach are :
  • The GPS status in the dashboard together with the NMEA debug windows which are not available in case of a direct Signal K connection...
  • The use of gpsd-clients (cgps, gpsmon) to evaluate the quality of my receivers.
I would like to use also xgps, and its skyview feature, but I can't as there is this error : 
          "TypeError: Couldn't find foreign struct converter for 'cairo.Context'." which seems linked to an absent Python3 dependency ... AS I have no skill in the matter, I would appreciate any help, guidance or solution !

YYYYYYYYEEEEESS !!!!!!!

Help yourself, and the Sky will help you !

Eventually, I could identify the python missing dependency : python-gi-cairo,
(this seems to be one of many Raspberry Pi OS distribution's holes).
I just passed the command :
  • sudo apt install python-gi-cairo
then
  • xgps
and xgps, one gpsd-client, does its job : it display a magnificent sky view, together with the list of GNSS satellites, their position ans signal quality, the Time and FIX status !

a great tool when you are trouble hunting GPS signal receiving !

Attached Files Image(s)

Cordialement
Didier B
Pi4, SSD USB3, OP 3.0 Touch SK 3.2.1 OpenCPN  5.8.4 :  Thank you  Thank you  Thank you