This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RTTY-HF-RTL-SDR
Photo 
Hi,

finaly today I got my first RTTY HF reception.
Transmitting from Hamburg in Germany to Alicante in Spain

Here the result:

They offer weather for the Atlantik, North-Sea, Baltic and East/West Mediteranean

The Programm/Times and frequencies you can find here:

Prog1
https://www.dwd.de/EN/specialusers/shipp...onFile&v=1

Prog2
https://www.dwd.de/EN/specialusers/shipp...onFile&v=1

I used:
Pi 4
OP2
RTL-SDR- wide with HF connected to my Backstay-Antenna
GQRX (Installed with OP2 SDR-VHF Installer)
FLDIGI installd over command line

The steps were,
1: to get an FM-Radio station to play in GQRX
2: Tune in an HF-Signal like RTTY or Weatherfax in GQRX
3: Get FLDIGI to decode an Weatherfax from an audio (wav) file
4: Get the HF-Signal from GQRX into FLDIGI
5: Find the right Settings for RTTY-Mode on FLDIGI

At the end it was a lot of trying and testing and I´m still not verry shure how to reproduce ...

From this point it should be a short stepp to get Weatherfax decoded, also my harbour with all the
Masts and Mountain is not a good palce to receive.

Save sailing to all

Andreas
thanks! an openplotter-hf app is in the TODO list
(2020-11-09, 07:08 PM)Sailoog Wrote: thanks! an openplotter-hf app is in the TODO list

Now I manage to capture with OP2 Navtex and Weatherfax:

The main problem I found was to get the GQRX-audio-stream into the FLDIG decoding program.
I don´t understand much about the PI audio settings but it seem that the OP-SDR-VHF settings are not
the ones the HF situation requires. (Alsa, Pulseaudio, .asoundrc). I finaly uninstald in OP SDR-VHF with the
AIS and GQRX and installed GNURADIO and GQRX over the command line.
I guess a SRD-HF for OP will sort this out.

Otherwise it is working nicely. The CPU ussage is low. Runnig the PI, OP with Signalk , the GQRX and FLDIGI consumes
only about 40-45% of CPU and 25-30% if the windows are minimized. CPU Temperature arround 60C in about 23 C ambient temerature. So it would be no problem to run in the background ....

By the way I did not get Sean Weaterfax-Plugin in OPENCPN to run, also a problem off getting the audio setup correctly.

Would love to have an OP-HF-APP .... maby this is some more motivation.

Thanks a lot for everybody who has contributed to this great project.
Save sailing 
Andreas
@xfactor99
small question. Which SDR Receiver, that RTTY (147kHz) & NAVTEX(490/518kHz) , do you use?
(2020-11-13, 11:19 PM)BlackSea Wrote: @xfactor99
small question. Which SDR Receiver, that RTTY (147kHz) & NAVTEX(490/518kHz) , do you use?
Hi Black Sea
it is a Patrol Dx SDR wich I own fo a cupple of years so it is an early version. Here you can see:

https://www.rtl-sdr.com/tag/dx-patrol/

Just google, but I think they are all Chinies 100kHz - 30 mMz wide rtl sdr (with an downconverter) . You find the them for arround 30€.
The RTTY above i made on 7.646 kHz. as i think the 147kHz will not find all the way to Spain but not shure about.
Save sailing
Andress
DX-Patrol in deed good device but not cheap :/
For audio channeling I suggest use internal also loopback in raspberry -> https://blog.getreu.net/_downloads/snd-aloop-device.pdf
Next in fl-digi in Audio tab just only pick up loopback device Smile