This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Latest Argon case
Did you liked the Argon One Pi4 case ? I guess you will love the Argon M.2 SSD. As its name tells us, it includes an M.2 SATA SSD port which accepts any size of M.2 SATA SSD with Key-B or Key-B&M. Other ports have been re-implanted, and now it offers 2 full size HDMI ports (always thought that 'marine' equipment had to be ugly, bulky and heavy),an 'always-on' mode, IR support plus remote...have a look here.
If, like me, you had invested in the former Argon One Pi4 case, they offer an upgrade path for 20 $ Big Grin !

Enough to wait for next generation of Pi, with one NVme port (and no more USB3 !)

Cordialement
Didier B
Pi4, SSD USB3, OP 3.0 Touch SK 3.2.1 OpenCPN  5.8.4 :  Thank you  Thank you  Thank you

That's really nice, but I'd still like some sort of method for stacking hats on top of the RPI. Perhaps a spacer for the top of the case or something?
(2020-12-23, 10:17 PM)abarrow Wrote: That's really nice, but I'd still like some sort of method for stacking hats on top of the RPI. Perhaps a spacer for the top of the case or something?

No, the case top is the radiator and must be in thermal contact with the processor
Cordialement
Didier B
Pi4, SSD USB3, OP 3.0 Touch SK 3.2.1 OpenCPN  5.8.4 :  Thank you  Thank you  Thank you

I could destroy an HDMI 2 micro HDMI adapter, but fortunately I could remove broken parts from the micro HDMI port, so only the adapter was lost.
I was happy that the latest Argon case  M.2 (for internal SSD) replaced those stupid  fragile micro HDMI ports by full sized strong HDMI ports . Bulky, heavy and uggly are definitely nautical qualities !
Those smart guys in Argon  listen to their customers !
They retrofitted this to the first model (without SSD) with a V2 edition also adopting full size HPMI ports ! Well done.

I am using their M.2 case since 1 week now, and I am fully satisfied with it ! It incorporates an M.2 SATA (5GB/s), in a very compact installation. No more USB 3 Cord and external SSD !

When will NVMe be supported in the Argon M.2 case (10 GB/s) ?

Also, I read somewhere that a pcie port supporting NVMe was under study in the foundation, with the drawback of loosing USB3.0 ... Guess they will  surprise us !
Pictures :
  1. Argon M.2 case, here with the GPIO lid opened and MPU9255 attached; from top to bottom : HDMI, +5V, USB2.0 cord, no more USB3 cord, and ETH cord
  2. On 2nd picture, note the full size HDMI port ...

Attached Files Image(s)

Cordialement
Didier B

These Argon cases are very nice especially the latest version with the full HDMI connectors.

With the two cooling pillars, temperature of the processor stays around 50o C and you still have a programmable ventilator inside

With the latest cover for the underside with SSD (sata) drive bay, there is one drawback. To use an SD card you have to remove the complete underside cover to place an SD card or to remove one.

Bram
(2021-01-17, 04:18 PM)verkerkbr Wrote: These Argon cases are very nice especially the latest version with the full HDMI connectors.

With the two cooling pillars, temperature of the processor stays around 50o C and you still have a programmable ventilator inside

With the latest cover for the underside with SSD (sata) drive bay, there is one drawback. To use an SD card you have to remove the complete underside cover to place an SD card or to remove one.

Bram

Agreed Bram, but this didn't stop me from using it : when you use an SSD, you won't care so much about  SD cards won't you ?
You still can generate SD cards using an USB 3 card reader and 'SD Card Copier'. By removing the Argon bridge you can access the SSD with a simple USB 3 cord from any Windoze or MAC workstation (win32DiskImager, or rpi-imager) . Best of course would be to have an SD inside, as a backup) and to select the boot througn raspi-config or Raspberry preferences !
But indeed the main advantge of SSD is to let you forget even the past existence of this bloody SD card !
Cordialement
Didier B