This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NMEA to pypilot
well, once pypilot detects a port it remembers so that is probably what happened and it is a hint for the future

it seems the initial autodetection without this knowledge may not have worked the first time you tried which is unfortunate. To recreate this you can delete the file ~/.pypilot/nmea0device assuming you have just 1 nmea device, and then reboot and see if it's detected or not. It may be that the serial driver for ftdi delays loading or maybe that it is registered as a gps device.

If you re-image the sd card it would also reset the state. It would be useful to know if you really had to manually restart pypilot or not.
I will try this and let you know. But since I didn't do anything else then checking stuff, rebooting pypilot should be what solved the problem.
I though you used ssh to restart pypilot without restarting the pi zero?
(2021-05-06, 03:22 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: I though you used ssh to restart pypilot without restarting the pi zero?

Yes, I did. But no other changes. After the one restart using ssh I could restart rpi zero and the instruments and get the wind info right back.

I was in the boat today again (unfortunately withou PC). I get the feeling that the converter is doing strange stuff sometimes. First startup: no wind. Restart the instruments and the converter (not pypilot): everything fine. So either the converter doesn't work all the time or pypilot doesn't see the converter from time to time. Next time, I will bring my PC so that I can check it if its not working. However, today I wanted to go sailing. And I have to say pypilot is really working great! Both, in wind mode when upwind and in compass when downwind. Even when I pressed the boat with the big, oversized gennaker the pilot kept the course. Sean, thanks and congratulations, great piece of work!

In my view, the problem seems not to be in pypilot but in the converter. I will try to check it... However, I am collecting all stuff to build an openplotter and will not need the converter anymore after that...

Thanks for your help!

//Fabian