This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting nmea data out of Signal K/OpenCPN
(2021-10-29, 01:26 AM)Island_Moose Wrote:
(2021-10-29, 01:11 AM)Techstyle Wrote:
(2021-10-29, 01:00 AM)Island_Moose Wrote:
(2021-10-29, 12:40 AM)Techstyle Wrote:
(2021-10-29, 12:09 AM)Island_Moose Wrote: I'm getting good GPS sentences in OpenCPN, the plotter is working perfectly.   I just can't find a way to send any data out of CPN (I want to send data to my autopilot and VHF).

there doesn't seem to be any positions in your GGA sentence 

well you were screening out RMB and APB which have Autopilot sentences on them so you may want to not do that.  As for the VHF what do you have selected in the SignalK to NMEA0183 plugin?

read this page:  https://github.com/SignalK/signalk-to-nmea0183

I selected everything in the SignalK to nmea0183 plugin, and relevant GPS sentences in the nmea0183 to nmea0183 plugin.
Did you check settings.json for: 
Code:
"toStdout": "nmea0183out"
No, how do I do that?

sudo nano /home/pi/.signalk/settings.json
I too have been unsuccessfull in getting nmea 0183 into my uniden new vhf. I have a neo -6M module (card) that puts out RX/TX serial. I get the signal into my arduino autopilot no issues, and can read the sentences via the arduino serial terminal. And also via usb - serial converter,  from the arduino to my laptop chartplotter (in active use). All had no issues. I tried connecting this output directly to the vhf and tried reversing connections etc.The uniden saw nothing. I then put in a separate circuit using a serial to RS485 converter - again, the vhf saw nothing. I upped the voltage from 3.3 to 5v ---- still nothing.
I researched nmea 0183 specs - this is really a pretty messed up "standard". All I found out was that it is unknown what actually the uniden expects to see. I called their service and they were unwilling to give any specifics ...like is it +5v/_5v,.....or only +5v/0V .... do they fully comply with nmea0183 ver2 etc.
If anyone has any guidance it would be appreciated.
Richard
SV Zolanda
Nanaimo BC
So I have confirmed the settings.json entries and configured an output in OCPN to my vhf.  The leds on the rs485 cable show data is being received but my wiring might be wrong.  Here is the connection I've made, confirmed with multimeter. Tx+ to NMEAIN+ and Tx- to NMEAIN -
Not sure if I've got this right.  It's an Icom 602

Attached Files Image(s)

(2021-11-01, 08:01 PM)Island_Moose Wrote: Not sure if I've got this right.  It's an Icom 602

looks correct, but the connection doesn't look great - can you check continuity?

also, have you tried reversing the Grey and yellow? 

and, check in the VHF, some devices have a the ability to turn off the comm ports in the software menus - make sure it is turned on
(2021-11-02, 01:56 AM)Techstyle Wrote:
(2021-11-01, 08:01 PM)Island_Moose Wrote: Not sure if I've got this right.  It's an Icom 602

looks correct, but the connection doesn't look great - can you check continuity?

and, check in the VHF, some devices have a the ability to turn off the comm ports in the software menus - make sure it is turned on

I cleaned those contacts after the photo was taken and got a continuity value of less than 0.7

I may try to reverse...I must be getting data to the cable because I see it in the debug screen.

Attached Files Image(s)

(2021-11-03, 01:35 AM)Island_Moose Wrote:
(2021-11-02, 01:56 AM)Techstyle Wrote:

I cleaned those contacts after the photo was taken and got a continuity value of less than 0.7

I may try to reverse...I must be getting data to the cable because I see it in the debug screen.

I looked at the manual briefly and I didn't see the baud rate, unless you found it you could check 9600 and 38400.
So I tried changing the baud rate with no success. I swapped the 2 wires on the rs485 cable with no success. Data is flowing to the cable as indicated by the Tx LED light on the cable end, but the data isn't being read.

I'm thrilled that I have instruments and GPS position on my chart plotter, but I need to conquer this issue of getting data back out of the Rpi/Openplotter. I'll keep searching.
1. try hooking the VHF to the GPS directly - this will ensure the issue is not on the Icom end.
2. try hooking the VHF to the 3rd port of the mux - this will solve the GPS getting to the VHF issue (if 1. works)
3. after this, you then can work on getting the NMEA 0183 data out to Autopilot
Is Node Red another option for creating links between all of my equipment? I've been looking at it online, thinking it's a possibility for getting nmea0183 from the RPi to other sources.