This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NEW OP /OCPN Hardware
(2017-05-14, 08:38 PM)tocan Wrote: Hmmm I am not sure which version of Openplotter to suggest.
0.10.0 and updates
(2017-05-14, 08:38 PM)tocan Wrote: Hmmm I am not sure which version of Openplotter to suggest.
0.10.0 and updates
[/quote]
Thanks. It's sure about stability for gps and ais? Just to ask because in most cases this is the in trance. I try to recruit new users.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G900F mit Tapatalk
Hello henker,
I'm looking for a display.
It should be 15-19 "tall. It must be suitable for the sun.
It is designed for outdoor use. The housing I could manufacture. It's just about the display.
Angel  Entschuldigung für mein Englisch. Es ist "deepl.com english"
PN bitte auf german.  Big Grin
(2017-06-15, 07:14 PM)Luckbert Wrote: Hello henker,
I'm looking for a display.
It should be 15-19 "tall. It must be suitable for the sun.
It is designed for outdoor use. The housing I could manufacture. It's just about the display.

Hello Luckbert,
We have found that the screen is not that good in direct sunlight... The brightness is 500 cd/m2 which is not sufficient. I'm now trying to find a supplier that will be able to provide a screen in the 1100 cd/m2 range. Problem is....$$$$$
The current one is fully dimmable and works from 9 to 36V DC (isolated).
I use it inside and works perfect, it just doesn't provide enough brightness for sunlight...
Hallo,
Haben Sie einen ungefähigen Preis für 1100cd Display?
Ich habe nicht die Möglichkeit, das Display innen zu installieren.
Ich habe ein offenes Riser.
Unfortunately not yet. I will post more when I have a suitable solution...
cool,
Ich bin sehr interessiert und freue mich auf Neuigkeiten.
Grüße Jürgen
(2017-03-20, 02:43 AM)henker Wrote: Hello OP / OCPN users
After reading this forum and noticing an increase in the Node-red usage, I have been working on some Hardware that might be interesting to some of you guys. This post is to see what the interest is among the OP / OCPN users is and I would like to receive some feedback just to see if it is worth continuing the development of this hardware. I have been in contact with Sailoog and he was very happy with the initial approach and was okay me sharing this with you all on the forum. These are items that I developed and tested so far:  (picture on the bottom of the threat)

-          Dedicated I/O board for Analog and Digital signals. These boards are stackable and can be directly connected to the Raspberry pi GPIO. We will be able to stack; 2 Analog boards or 1 analog and 3 digital or 6 digital boards. The Analog boards are based on the MCP3008 and have 8 inputs. The Digital board has 8 inputs and 6 relay outputs. All board have a 5V DC power supply to supply the RPI. Input Voltage is 9 to 36VDc, fused and reverse polarity protected.

What exactly are you going to plug into these analog signals?   Why not just use an arduino?

Quote:-          Serial input board. This board can also be stacked on top of the RPI but doesn’t use the GPIO. Instead it will use the Pi’s USB connectors. This board has 4 NMEA RX and TX I/O’s with the FTDI USB to serial chip. We have added on each port an RS422 isolator. Again, this board is 9 to 36VDC DC and 5VDc RPI supply.
All these boards have connectors that make it easy to add / remove sensors.
-          Rudder feedback. I have developed a Rudder feedback, 9 to 36V in and RS422 NMEA our ($xxRSA). The system is based on a Hall sensor so no wearing parts!

autopilots do not need rudder feedback.   Furthermore, if the autopilot uses a brushless drive, the brushless motor controller already provides position feedback to make the autopilot slightly better than without it.  Although over time, a smart autopilot won't matter, it just learns faster initially with rudder feedback.   I think separate rudder feedback is not useful.

Quote:Under development:
-          Windsensor. Also, 9 – 36 VIN, RS422 NMEA out. We have already put it together, it just needs some more testing. Again system is based on a Hall sensor.

I built also a wind sensor, but it is using a potentimeter (dead band needs to be forward since you can't sail directly upwind anyway)   I think using hall sensors is nice.

How are you making the vane and rotating cups?  Do you have 3d printer models?

Quote:-          Marine Monitors: 12, 15 and 19” touchscreen monitor. The 19” is finished and is being tested. The 12 and 15” will be ready in the next few months. We will try to make a Waterproof model as well.

Did you add additional backlights to make it readable in daylight?

Quote:-          Keyboard. I was thinking to develop a dedicated OCPN keyboard however, is there any interest in such a thing? Please advise if you would be interested and if so, what keys would you like to have on this keyboard.

I thought of this also.  If you could make it cheap enough it might be viable.   Are you printing on rubber?   It should be fully waterproof.

Quote:-          Signal Conditioning board; This board will be able to handle signals from the vessels switchboard. All signals will be optically isolated: DC, AC, current and frequency.

What exact signals, and what is the purpose??

Quote:Offcourse you are wondering… WHAT DOES IT COST??? To stay in line with the OP / OCPN project, these parts will be priced very reasonable… Being a (sail) boat owner myself we have enough costs and any penny we can save is a bonus. The Analog / digital boards will be around E80 / US$85 / C$115. The serial board will be slight more at around US$ 125.

I think your costs are extreme considering an arduino nano is $3 and can already do the same thing.
Quote:I haven’t determined the cost of the RAI and wind sensor but as there is quite a bit of work to put these together, there will be price between US$150 and $300. Also, currently, the housing is made from plastic which I prefer to change to Stainless…

The wind sensor should not cost more than $50, because I already know the parts are about $20 to build it.

I have also built a waterspeed sensor which costs $5 to build, and a autopilot (pypilot) which is also very inexpensive.[/quote]
I agree with Sean. Arduino seems the way to go unless the costs for bespoke hardware can be drastically reduced, or you are aiming at wrong marked (non do it yourselfers).

Sean I see you have registered a domain for pypilot are you going to post details of your autopilot project there?
(2017-06-18, 02:31 PM)seandepagnier Wrote:
(2017-03-20, 02:43 AM)henker Wrote: Hello OP / OCPN users
After reading this forum and noticing an increase in the Node-red usage, I have been working on some Hardware that might be interesting to some of you guys. This post is to see what the interest is among the OP / OCPN users is and I would like to receive some feedback just to see if it is worth continuing the development of this hardware. I have been in contact with Sailoog and he was very happy with the initial approach and was okay me sharing this with you all on the forum. These are items that I developed and tested so far:  (picture on the bottom of the threat)

-          Dedicated I/O board for Analog and Digital signals. These boards are stackable and can be directly connected to the Raspberry pi GPIO. We will be able to stack; 2 Analog boards or 1 analog and 3 digital or 6 digital boards. The Analog boards are based on the MCP3008 and have 8 inputs. The Digital board has 8 inputs and 6 relay outputs. All board have a 5V DC power supply to supply the RPI. Input Voltage is 9 to 36VDc, fused and reverse polarity protected.

What exactly are you going to plug into these analog signals?   Why not just use an arduino?

Quote:-          Serial input board. This board can also be stacked on top of the RPI but doesn’t use the GPIO. Instead it will use the Pi’s USB connectors. This board has 4 NMEA RX and TX I/O’s with the FTDI USB to serial chip. We have added on each port an RS422 isolator. Again, this board is 9 to 36VDC DC and 5VDc RPI supply.
All these boards have connectors that make it easy to add / remove sensors.
-          Rudder feedback. I have developed a Rudder feedback, 9 to 36V in and RS422 NMEA our ($xxRSA). The system is based on a Hall sensor so no wearing parts!

autopilots do not need rudder feedback.   Furthermore, if the autopilot uses a brushless drive, the brushless motor controller already provides position feedback to make the autopilot slightly better than without it.  Although over time, a smart autopilot won't matter, it just learns faster initially with rudder feedback.   I think separate rudder feedback is not useful.

Quote:Under development:
-          Windsensor. Also, 9 – 36 VIN, RS422 NMEA out. We have already put it together, it just needs some more testing. Again system is based on a Hall sensor.

I built also a wind sensor, but it is using a potentimeter (dead band needs to be forward since you can't sail directly upwind anyway)   I think using hall sensors is nice.

How are you making the vane and rotating cups?  Do you have 3d printer models?

Quote:-          Marine Monitors: 12, 15 and 19” touchscreen monitor. The 19” is finished and is being tested. The 12 and 15” will be ready in the next few months. We will try to make a Waterproof model as well.

Did you add additional backlights to make it readable in daylight?

Quote:-          Keyboard. I was thinking to develop a dedicated OCPN keyboard however, is there any interest in such a thing? Please advise if you would be interested and if so, what keys would you like to have on this keyboard.

I thought of this also.  If you could make it cheap enough it might be viable.   Are you printing on rubber?   It should be fully waterproof.

Quote:-          Signal Conditioning board; This board will be able to handle signals from the vessels switchboard. All signals will be optically isolated: DC, AC, current and frequency.

What exact signals, and what is the purpose??

Quote:Offcourse you are wondering… WHAT DOES IT COST??? To stay in line with the OP / OCPN project, these parts will be priced very reasonable… Being a (sail) boat owner myself we have enough costs and any penny we can save is a bonus. The Analog / digital boards will be around E80 / US$85 / C$115. The serial board will be slight more at around US$ 125.

I think your costs are extreme considering an arduino nano is $3 and can already do the same thing.
Quote:I haven’t determined the cost of the RAI and wind sensor but as there is quite a bit of work to put these together, there will be price between US$150 and $300. Also, currently, the housing is made from plastic which I prefer to change to Stainless…

The wind sensor should not cost more than $50, because I already know the parts are about $20 to build it.

I have also built a waterspeed sensor which costs $5 to build, and a autopilot (pypilot) which is also very inexpensive.
[/quote]

Sean,

To answer some of your questions:

- What exactly are you going to plug into these analog signals?  
I'm thinking about the following: Tank levels, bilge sensor, engine oil pressure, coolant temperature, exhaust temperature, RPM, DC and AC voltage, switch lights on/off etc.
- Why not just use an arduino?
How do I connect the sensors to an arduino and get these back to the Pi?

- autopilots do not need rudder feedback.
Great. I'll be glad to test it out!. So far I have only seen Z-Drives and Azipods without feedback.

- How are you making the vane and rotating cups?  Do you have 3d printer models?
I will send you a pictures of my (stainless steel) Wind anemometer

- Did you add additional backlights to make it readable in daylight?
That is easier said then done. That is why I'm looking for a new supplier that can provide me with a 1100 cd/m2 monitor

- What exact signals, and what is the purpose??
If you want to measure your 110V or 220V AC (or even 12 / 24V DC) voltage, current and frequency, somehow you need to bring it to a voltage that can be used by a Pi or your arduino. This can be done by isolation I/C's. It is save and if you make this on a board can easily be interfaced to a Pi.

- I think your costs are extreme considering an arduino nano is $3 and can already do the same thing.
- The wind sensor should not cost more than $50, because I already know the parts are about $20 to build it.
- I have also built a waterspeed sensor which costs $5 to build, and a autopilot (pypilot) which is also very inexpensive.

Offcourse people can make all of this a lot cheaper IF they can do it themselves.. Problem is that some people don't have the knowledge nor skills to make these boards or have the knowledge to put it together. Indeed you can make a windsensor for $20 but is it made from stainless steel and are the bearings low friction precision bearing that cost $15 each, probably not. There are people that will find your $20 dollars anemometer too much and say a flag can do the same job. I would like to offer hardware that is cheaper (and probably better) then some commercial items available.

Cheers