This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SensESP Fuel Flow Meter
Looking for some help.

I setup an ESP32 using SensESP first with v1 and now with v 2.4.1 for a fuel flow meter.  I'm away from the trawler and can't test directly.  I've tested the connection using a YF-201 water flow meter into pin 4 and 5 as given in example - https://open-boat-projects.org/en/sensesp/ .  It works great, 

The fuel flow meter on the trawler is a FloScan meter.  Documents state the meter outputs is in the 4 to 10 volts for the readings.  

How to I wire in the FloScan meter output into the ESP32?  I'm I wrong to assume that pin 4 and 5 only take 3.3v and I'll need to use a voltage divider or something to take the voltage down to rescale for the flow reading?  Or can I wire directly since it only looking at frequency reading only and volts does not matter and the ESP32 handles the voltage?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Jim
(2022-05-18, 04:59 AM)jspearman1711 Wrote: Looking for some help.

I setup an ESP32 using SensESP first with v1 and now with v 2.4.1 for a fuel flow meter.  I'm away from the trawler and can't test directly.  I've tested the connection using a YF-201 water flow meter into pin 4 and 5 as given in example - https://open-boat-projects.org/en/sensesp/ .  It works great, 

The fuel flow meter on the trawler is a FloScan meter.  Documents state the meter outputs is in the 4 to 10 volts for the readings.  

How to I wire in the FloScan meter output into the ESP32?  I'm I wrong to assume that pin 4 and 5 only take 3.3v and I'll need to use a voltage divider or something to take the voltage down to rescale for the flow reading?  Or can I wire directly since it only looking at frequency reading only and volts does not matter and the ESP32 handles the voltage?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Jim

What exactly do you connect to pins 4 and 5? I can't seem to find a YF-201, there is a YF-S201 but that has only one pwm output.
Greatly appreciate the feedback!!

Yes correct on meter model is a YF-S201. To help clarify, I connected the output of the YF-S201 first to pin 4 to check the in flow in to Signal K and then reconnected the YF-S201 to pin 5 to see return flow signal in Signal K. Used this meter to confirm that the SensESP on the ESP32 was working.

Since I'm a newbie in electronics, I'm looking to see if I could connect the FlowScan meter flow outputs directly into the same ESP32 pins like the YF-S201?

Thanks for all the help
Jim
(2022-05-18, 03:20 PM)jspearman1711 Wrote: Greatly appreciate the feedback!!

Yes correct on meter model is a YF-S201.  To help clarify, I connected the output of the YF-S201 first to pin 4 to check the in flow in to Signal K and then reconnected the YF-S201 to pin 5 to see return flow signal in Signal K.   Used this meter to confirm that the SensESP on the ESP32 was working.  

Since I'm a newbie in electronics, I'm looking to see if I could connect the FlowScan meter flow outputs directly into the same ESP32 pins like the YF-S201?  

Thanks for all the help
Jim

I see, thanks.

Interestingly the specifications for the YF-S201 suggest that is has a TTL output so 0V/5V yet there are plenty of examples out there indicating that direct connection to a GPIO pin that is not 5V tolerant works OK. Perhaps there is some diode protection going on somewhere or the fact that it is a PWM signal hence the 5V is not present for an extended period of time helps.

I think sensible practice is that you limit the maximum voltage into an ESP32 IO pin to 3.3V as you suggest. You mention that the voltage from the FloScan meter is in the range 4V to 10V, I assume it is not an analogue signal, is that dependent on supply voltage or something else? In any case I would definitely use a potential divider to reduce that  potential 10V maximum to close to 3.3V (say 10kΩ/5kΩ ladder).
Thanks. Really appreciate the feedback and help!!!