This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Documentation Project I did start a complete documentation to 120 languages
Tocan, sorry, I have just find out this thread. Let me some time to read and process Smile
(2017-05-08, 08:06 PM)Sailoog Wrote: Tocan, sorry, I have just find out this thread. Let me some time to read and process Smile

Not any problem, I did read yours interview and understand you are busy. But I saw at the git that not many chances was done in last time for uploads. I suggest at least for the documentation to write a User manual additional. In fact for example my wife is not able to understand the manual and how to use this all. Do not expect that the person who is doing the installation is at the later point the person who is using it. For programmers are entirety relationship cards and a api as well as flowcharts good or mind maps. Same for administrators and Enduser.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G900F mit Tapatalk
Tocan, I do not dislike documentation at all. I am aware how important doc is but... in the morning I am collaborating with http://o-charts.org project to provide low cost charts for OpenCPN. In the afternoon I have to write code for openplotter, reply dozens of daily emails, send orders to shop customers, search for reliable providers, buy and test new hardware, write documentation, read forums and try to sail and live...

If you do not see changes on github or on this forum and others, do not think we are not working. No offense but you should have asked before saying that. Take a look at the beta branch of OP and see statistics or go to Dutch forums. Netherlanders are the most active community and they are also holding their horses with translations because we do not have a good documentation and we know it.

Since only e-sailing is pushing code and writing documentation I think there is too much work for 2 persons so we need to set priorities and the first one is obviously coding and finishing the stable version. Do not forget that this is a project on construction. You are right, now this is not a project for newbies because there is not a good doc for them yet, now this is for advanced users and not advanced but curious.

This project will go forward as more people is involved so you are really welcome to the team, I hope you have as free time as it seems to me that you have Smile

Documentation and translations are almost as important as people testing changes (we really appreciate that guys) but first of all you need something to translate so our priority is to update and write the source in English. English is not our language (mine is Catalan) so probably we will need corrections too.

If you agree I will create a new forum here to allow people to collaborate writing doc and translations, some kind of tag system to mark chapters as complete/needs development/needs update. We prefer to have officials translations on gitbook but your page could be a good extra resource or the source for officials translations.

Some tips about your page...

It is really really slow. Where is your server? are you sure is not a bandwidth issue? it takes minimum 20 second to charge any page.

I have not been able to find the openplotter translations and I have to admit that I have not understood the concept. Yes I know, I am an stressed man and probably I have not invested the necessary time but Internet is plenty of impatient users too.
We have done a lot of coding in the last weeks so there are some completed parts completely undocumented or outdated. I think some current testers are more than ready to write some chapter if we point them to the developed parts and we give them some guidelines. Let me revise the documentation index, delete outdated parts, mark "ready to go" parts and think about the best way to use this forum to coordinate writing and translating.
(2017-05-09, 06:05 PM)Sailoog Wrote: Tocan, I do not dislike documentation at all. I am aware how important doc is but... in the morning I am collaborating with http://o-charts.org project to provide low cost charts for OpenCPN. In the afternoon I have to write code for openplotter, reply dozens of daily emails, send orders to shop customers, search for reliable providers, buy and test new hardware, write documentation, read forums and try to sail and live...

If you do not see changes on github or on this forum and others, do not think we are not working. No offense but you should have asked before saying that. Take a look at the beta branch of OP and see statistics or go to Dutch forums. Netherlanders are the most active community and they are also holding their horses with translations because we do not have a good documentation and we know it.

Since only e-sailing is pushing code and writing documentation I think there is too much work for 2 persons so we need to set priorities and the first one is obviously coding and finishing the stable version. Do not forget that this is a project on construction. You are right, now this is not a project for newbies because there is not a good doc for them yet, now this is for advanced users and not advanced but curious.

This project will go forward as more people is involved so you are really welcome to the team, I hope you have as free time as it seems to me that you have Smile

Documentation and translations are almost as important as people testing changes (we really appreciate that guys) but first of all you need something to translate so our priority is to update and write the source in English. English is not our language (mine is Catalan) so probably we will need corrections too.

If you agree I will create a new forum here to allow people to collaborate writing doc and translations, some kind of tag system to mark chapters as complete/needs development/needs update. We prefer to have officials translations on gitbook but your page could be a good extra resource or the source for officials translations.

Some tips about your page...

It is really really slow. Where is your server? are you sure is not a bandwidth issue? it takes minimum 20 second to charge any page.

I have not been able to find the openplotter translations and I have to admit that I have not understood the concept. Yes I know, I am an stressed man and probably I have not invested the necessary time but Internet is plenty of impatient users too.

Do not worry i sit one month to do the German translation as it is.The sense is in this time i make international promotion for you. I have a degree in medicine informatics and i am a medical doctor and i do not have a sailing boat just a motor boat.

I was in beginning in pyton 15 years ago just to understand basics but long forgotten this anyways i have no programming skills. My skills i was trained in medicine computer science are to lead big teams of programmers speak parts of their language and push them to the needs of a project.

My skills are to provoke and push a project but with a very unusual style and you saw the reaction. Do not make marketing for your page, the style is 80ies the server is slow. I am fully aware to this, buts not a bug, its a feature. :-) No need to change this for the moment.

Anyways i guess we should write some mails to give you a background of my findings and to plan necessary steps. I think in Human resources and just for Coordinate the documentation proper up to date we need 10 People that have not to write dokumentation they have to coordinate writers. Skills no needs in programming just to coordinate and keep contact and to writers and guide them. Time per week jused by each approx 1 hourfor the moment. And they have to review in parts also if someone leave to have at same time another person that is waiting to do the job. This means to recruide Followers in Waiting possition. I am not in possition to announce i like to share just some structural things with you some brainstorming.

Mail is tocan.daniela@gmail.com

P.S: Hope the catalan documentation you can understand in parts i do not speak any word catalan and no spanish. Make a Gimmik and involve Pep Guardiola... you see my ideas are crazy... How to do it in reality we can talk about when its time.

To make others understanding of my personal needs.
My Grundel is a 2000 Euros ship. And at the moment i am in Venlo NL.

Engine is broken its a OM636 Mercedes from 1960 Approx. Targets repair the Engine go on the Rhine valey wth 32 horsepower up the rhine Should make some persons nervous with the 8 m boat. Ground speed is 11 KM / h Rhine goes with 9 km / h. But this will end. Arround Mainz the way is going to Main, Main Danube Channel, Complete the Danube down to the delta.

What i have for the moment is analog Voltmeter and Analog Fuel. What i need are official ENC charts. But additional Open River Map or Opensea Map. But in needs. I have the complete Edition of the Verbergh Charts in Print are non official Charts. But every professional needs the informations to pass Danube River secure. I will not have a FM because of law restrictions and from Bucharest is useless to try to talk in English. I will implement for this a complete Phone Server with free international calls worldwide.

Ok arrival at Danube Delta the Boat will be free to use and no charter. But you can apply to spend 14 days holidays or more there.

And from Mainz the way if someone like it the boat can take over as long there is the wish and ride allone the way forward. There are additional ideas i like not to talk about for now. I like to share them first with sailoog.

Regards
Wilfried Gödert
10 documentation coordinators? Pep Guardiola? You are really optimistic.
Write to info<you_know_what>sailoog.com but if you can we love sharing and discussing ideas in public.
Let me some days to check the current documentation state and create a forum and some rules to coordinate documentation.
(2017-05-04, 01:43 PM)tocan Wrote: I saw in the documentation some copyright problems. So where taken pictures from Wikipedea, what are for shure not under CC-BY-SA license also if you take pictures from there you have to give the credits.

I talk about the picture NMEA 2000 the boat what is from there. You find it in arround 20000 illegal copies. History -> Was taken by a robot that search CC lizensed pictures and upload them to Wikipedia in the time arround 2010 it was done without further provment. I did follow up to the company that have realy the copyright and did phone with them yesterday and they will do a provement. So it should be not used. Maybee someone have skills to make something nice similar.

You are wrong. This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Generic license.

I modified and included this picture into the documentation but forgot to add the source, now it is done: https://sailoog.gitbooks.io/openplotter-...stick.html

Thanks to point me on this. You should phone again the author and recommend him that do not upload anything to wikimedia without reading the terms.

The Wikimedia Foundation owns almost none of the content on Wikimedia sites — the content is owned, instead, by the individual creators of it. However, almost all content hosted on Wikimedia Commons may be freely reused subject to certain restrictions (in many cases). You do not need to obtain a specific statement of permission from the licensor(s) of the content unless you wish to use the work under different terms than the license states.

Content under open content licenses may be reused without any need to contact the licensor(s), but just keep in mind that:
  • some licenses require that the original creator be attributed;
  • some licenses require that the specific license be identified when reusing (including, in some cases, stating or linking to the terms of the license);
  • some licenses require that if you modify the work, your modifications must also be similarly freely licensed
Let us all keep smilling

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:..._yacht.jpg

History: A wikipedia user did write a robot. This robot sucks around the web and try automaticely identify pictures.

This picture he sucks from flickerl

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:...us_Manske)
I (Magnus Manske), personally, do not (or rarely) upload pictures through this bot. It is part of my CommonsHelper and Flickr2Commons tools.
If some image with questionable copyright was uploaded, don't come to me. I (most likely) didn't upload it, and I don't know any more about it than you do. If it's evil, just nuke it.
Please use my talk page for comments. Comments here will be ignored, and eventually deleted.

I foolowed from there and flickerl to check the copyright . Internet is very tricky somehow.

This user account is a bot operated by Magnus Manske (talk).
It is not a sock puppet, but rather an automated or semi-automated account for making repetitive edits that would be extremely tedious to do manually.
Administrators: if this bot is malfunctioning or causing harm, please block it.

I think to build up a developer team is not enough :-) Designers anywhere... A lots of open positions we have.

When i go to recource i typicaly search first for duplicates and plagiatism in the net.

RP2_Pinout.png is also a picture in a lot of variations to find but i did not find nowhere a copyright info
only in the documentation of openplotter....

I suggest the following i make a propper imprint in general and in the looooooooooooong texts at the end i make a extra picture history where i got it in seldom cases....