This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MPU-9250 (was MPU-9150)
I'm really struggling with getting a new MPU-9150 to calibrate under OP 11.7.

Can anyone confirm that they've been able to calibrate one with Openplotter 11.7, or did you have to modify something to get it to work?
(2017-05-29, 11:15 PM)abarrow Wrote: I'm really struggling with getting a new MPU-9150 to calibrate under OP 11.7.

Can anyone confirm that they've been able to calibrate one with Openplotter 11.7, or did you have to modify something to get it to work?

I tried the text based calibration and it seemed to work but then on reboot it was off (compass heading that is). This could however be due to the environment on my workbench. 

I haven't tried the graphical calibration as it doesn't scale to screen size so I can't see most of it. 

When you say you can't get it to work; what do you mean? What error messages? What works and what doesn't?
First of all, I had a typo in the title of this thread. It is an MPU-9250 that I'm trying to calibrate.

I used the text calibration too. The last time I tried it the ellipsoid calibration failed. After getting the 200+ hits on the calibration, I got an error that a file wasn't found in the location that the calibration system was expecting, and the program exited. The system is back on the boat now, so I can't duplicate it immediately.

I'm going to head over to the boat this morning and grab the system and try it again, recording the error messages. For now, it's just good information to know that someone has been able to get it to work, in spite of the inaccuracies you are having. I did notice on the King Tide Sailing web site that the author noticed a lot of sensitivity to nearby metal objects on his MPU-9250. He housed his IMU in a glued wooden box as a result.

I'm hoping to make these fixes without going back to NOOBs and starting again with OP10. I've moved the OS and Openplotter over to an SSD, so it's a bit problematic to start from an SD card again.

By the way, at the risk of getting off my own topic, I can highly recommend going to an external drive rather than an SD card. Even with the USB 2.0 interface, the speed enhancement is quite noticeable, and there's no worry of wearing your SD card out.
Sorry abarrow, there is a reported bug with ellipsoid calibration. Stupid bug with paths, I hope to fix it this week.
Thank you so much! I'll look for the update.
I noticed that with today's update there was intended to be fixes to I2C. I just attempted text calibration, and I'm still getting this error:
Quote:error: no such file, '/home/pi/.config/openplotter/imu/RTEllipsoidFit.m'
error: source: error sourcing file '/home/pi/.config/openplotter/imu/RTEllipsoidFit.m'

Ellipsoid fit returned 256 - aborting.
Not yet, latest update was intended to solve a urgent bug with N2K, maybe today Smile
Thanks so much. We all very much appreciate your hard work!
Done! I2C auto detection and ellipsoid callibration fixed on 0.11.9
Test please
Ooooh yeah! Text calibration works great. I didn't do the graphical version, but I have to assume it works fine as well.

Many thanks.