This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General Configuration GPS with Simrad RS12 Radio
Greatings to you all! What a wonderful project I discovered! I really want to enjoy and get this OP with Raspberry running on my little boat.

To start, can please one of you experts confirm or deny, whether my thoughts in configuration are feasible, because I'm very new to all of this ?

I have a Simrad radio RS12 with NMEA 183 and 2000 interface. I also have a GPS antenna with NMEA 183 output which is
connected to my radio and works fine. I understand, to get the NMEA signals into OP (raspberry) I need an USB interface. Can I just connect 
the data wires in parallel in order to feed both the radio and the USB interface (signals only in one direction),
or do I need a NMEA splitter ? Can you recommend one ?

Or is it better to utilize/filter the NMEA 2000 port of the radio and feed all data into the NK2 CAN USB adapter, but just for GPS ?

I actually only want to avoid a 2nd GPS antenna, because the one I have works fine and is high up in the mast.
Of course I prefer the NMEA0183 solution, if feasible. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
The Coast Guard NMEA installation guidelines seem to indicate that it is possible to connect NMEA wiring in parallel.

https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/pdf/gmdss/ta...NMEA_7.pdf
(2017-06-25, 05:25 PM)abarrow Wrote: The Coast Guard NMEA installation guidelines seem to indicate that it is possible to connect NMEA wiring in parallel.

https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/pdf/gmdss/ta...NMEA_7.pdf

Great information. Thanks. That really helped.
Cheers.
You can connect a NMEA 0183 output to more than one device input but not the opposite.
Forget NMEA 2000, more expensive.
We sell a NMEA 0183 USB converter but is out of stock now, you can find it on internet.
(2017-06-29, 06:24 PM)Sailoog Wrote: You can connect a NMEA 0183 output to more than one device input but not the opposite.
Forget NMEA 2000, more expensive.
We sell a NMEA 0183 USB converter but is out of stock now, you can find it on internet.

Thanks, I ordered and just got the converter (very fast from Spain!). I will continue my installation (NMEA GPS to Radio and converter) within the next days. Thanks a lot and greetings from Holland.