This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
idea for store bought items
Just got my package that I ordered from you, thank you
But, just an idea, it might help to include some documentation with the bmp280, not everyone is fully versed in nmea sentencing, like me Smile
I have a the sensor connected and open plotter see's it, but I have no idea how to get opencpn to see the data, and the open plotter documentation tells me nothing either?
can anyone either point me to the right location or perhaps tell me what the sentance construction should look like?
i dont understand where that would be displayed in opencpn or why it needs it..
i would display that info on nodered dashboard or freeboard..
jim
In OpenCPN, there is also a dashboard plugin. There you can display the data.
For someone who has no or little knowledge of programming, this is a possibility.
Greetings Jürgen
Angel  Entschuldigung für mein Englisch. Es ist "deepl.com english"
PN bitte auf german.  Big Grin
If the data is available to OpenCPN in the NMEA0183 data stream the different instruments will display relevant data; but the plugin won't tell what is available. It is assumed that the user knows what is connected. It is of course possible to activate all instruments and see what works.

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/doku.p...:dashboard
I am sorry about this, we are still working on documentation. What you need is to wire the sensor, set it in I2C tab to send data to signal k and then use NMEA generator to send data to opencpn. the more dificult part would be the NMEA generator but latest OP version has a button to set the default NMEA sentences for opencpn.
sorry for not getting back earlier, been busy having a heart attack, no, not joking! I'll take a look at that in the morning, thank you. I did have it wired and did see the i2c data so I know it's working.
the one button defaults to RMC , seems to ignore the chosen field?
(2017-08-29, 03:21 AM)vapochilled Wrote: the one button defaults to RMC , seems to ignore the chosen field?

I do not understand, could you be more specific?

and take it easy Heart  Wink
(2017-08-22, 10:11 PM)jim321 Wrote: i dont understand where that would be displayed in opencpn or why it needs it..
i would display that info on nodered dashboard or freeboard..
jim

If I knew how to do that, I might!
However I'm very new to openplotter and am really still feeling my way around nmea sentences etc

(2017-08-29, 04:52 PM)Sailoog Wrote:
(2017-08-29, 03:21 AM)vapochilled Wrote: the one button defaults to RMC , seems to ignore the chosen field?

I do not understand, could you be more specific?

and take it easy Heart  Wink

ok, sorry for the confusion, here goes:

if , under openplotter menu I click signal  K, and then diagnostics, I can see new BME280 sensor and all three fields, I set them up for 1 sec update at this time.

So, now I goto tools/nmea0183 generator
ADD
then, no matter which sentence $-xxx I select, if I hit RMC examp, it will not populate the selected sentence type.
If that is not how to use the function please elaborate and let me know. I'm still not sure if I use XDR or MDA either, seems to be some confusion on the net over this.
(2017-08-29, 09:06 PM)vapochilled Wrote: if , under openplotter menu I click signal  K, and then diagnostics, I can see new BME280 sensor and all three fields, I set them up for 1 sec update at this time.

So, now I goto tools/nmea0183 generator
ADD
then, no matter which sentence $-xxx I select, if I hit RMC examp, it will not populate the selected sentence type.
If that is not how to use the function please elaborate and let me know. I'm still not sure if I use XDR or MDA either, seems to be some confusion on the net over this.

The MDA sentence is understood by opencpn dashboard. This is from openplotter.conf on my system...

['MDA', ['', '', ['environment.outside.pressure', 'x.xxx', '/', 100000.0], '', ['environment.inside.temperature', 'x.x', '-', 271.15], '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', ''], 1.0]

[Image: uFBl4dr.png]

Hope that helps, it's actually very handy to have the pressure live on opencpn , especially if, like me, you use a tablet in the cockpit. The dashboard has a graph function as well so you can watch for trends.