This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Garmin plotter crashes nmea communication
(2019-08-24, 08:42 PM)rmvdmrl Wrote: Hi Francesco,

Glad you got the problem solved. I've also seen that Sean made modifications to the nmea.py on Git. T.m.h.o. (and i'm not a python programmer) this modification might still be a problem (from what i've seen as i only just looked into this)  It does seem to stop the mode switching to compass and will survive an empty string (no waypoint selected in plotter) as it returns true on "GP" and does't get to the float() but with a waypoint selected it will probably not steer to the waypoint (it returns true before getting to this part). And what i'm mostly missing is a check before doing the float() even with **APB (not GP) when there is an issue with the sentence it might still crash the nmea communication,. I hope Sean can have another look at this part. On the other hand I still haven't been able to do a seatrial with my modification so let me know.

If you are using fysical key's on the GPIO for control then the problem with the tacking might be that it seems to be responding to the LEFT and RIGHT (+/- 10 degrees/bigstep) key and not to the UP and DOWN key (+/- 1 degree/smallstep). With the current version you (at least i do) have only up and down. I would like to add the L/R keys to the GPIO (still some pins left) but I haven't figured out how in lcd.py one of the self.pins gets one of the seven keynames (pini?). Hope Sean or someone who has already done this can give some help. (perhaps L/R are not assigned as they are keynames 6 and 7 and there are only 5 self.pins).

Greetings Rob

Hi Rob
I apologize for not responding so quickly to your reply.
Last sunday I tried a test but got strange behaviours in GPS and WIND modes, both catching apparently random values.
Now I would recalibrate everything and retry ASAP, as I hadd some guest on board and I preferred to postpone it.
I will report on any result.
Regarding physichal keyboard, as a non-Python programmer,  I am following with interest the evolution from Your post and Sean's replies
Thanks a lot, bye
Francesco

Messages In This Thread
RE: Garmin plotter crashes nmea communication - by webber63 - 2019-08-30, 10:32 AM