This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
10 inch touch displays?
I have a 24 inch TV for the salon that swivels 90 degrees to serve as a nav table monitor. My Openplotter HDMI plugs into that. I changed the hotplug settings on the pi so that the monitor can be off on boot and still be turned on later, so that I can use it headless.

At the helm I have an old, small Garmin chartplotter. I am in the process of reconfiguring the helm: I moved the shelf it sits on to the far side of the pedestal guard, so that the device peers over the top, and can be rotated forward so that my crew can see the speed and depth etc. This gives me more room in the front to mount tablets and phones. Node Red Dashboard in a browser, VNC, and native apps on Android/iPhone will all see some use. I have not yet used VNC to Openplotter on a touchscreen.

Apple, Samsung and others have begun making their devices more water resistant and brighter for sunlight reading. I just believe we're likely to have more options in the future for tablets than for fixed displays.

10 or 8 or 7 inches: depends upon your preferences and your mounting space.

Just my thoughts. Subject to change!

Greg

Messages In This Thread
10 inch touch displays? - by abarrow - 2017-02-20, 04:13 PM
RE: 10 inch touch displays? - by Saqqara - 2017-02-21, 12:59 AM
RE: 10 inch touch displays? - by Saqqara - 2017-02-21, 04:56 PM
RE: 10 inch touch displays? - by jram - 2017-04-16, 11:10 PM