This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rudderfeedback Sensor Robertson/Simrad RF300
(2021-05-13, 02:47 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: How bad is the latency?   Maybe the latency from wifi is a bigger issue?

You could for example connect your rudder feedback arduino to the usb of the tinypilot eliminating wifi.

Otherwise, what you want is a DAC.   I'm not sure you need to worry about voltage 64kh, unless you experience inaccuracy over temperature??   The rudder stops should be set to have a few degrees extra in case of this.

To make a DAC with arduino, the simplest way is to use PWM output varying duty cycle (not frequency) with rudder angle.     I would use fastest frequency po.ssible and low-pass filter it with say 10k and 0.1uF capacitor as a starting point and feed this into the rudder feedback.   You might power this arduino from the rudder feedback pins of the motor controller.

Hi Sean,

thanks for your reply.

I  dont´t know how bad the latency is, but I yust feel better if the sensor-data got to were they are used. Also for safty, beside
the end of rudder switches I´m using.

I also hope to have an verry accurate Ruder-feedback for further developments of Pypilot (absolute and learning) ;-)

I have ordered an MCP4726 witch is an 12-Bit DAC with an Pin for Voltage-Reference (1US$) wich I plan to connect to the TP-Arduino.

I modyfied my Rudder-NMEA.ino maps 80 degrees of rudder movement (2600-4200Hz of the RF300) to 0-4096 PWM´s. So this is woking perfect (high precison and resolution) when y check it at the serial monitor.

So it looks like everything is on a good way
Save sailing
Andreas

Messages In This Thread
RE: Rudderfeedback Sensor Robertson/Simrad RF300 - by xfactor99 - 2021-05-13, 04:16 PM