This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tilt compensation compass (mpu9250/6500)
I found something quite confusing last night:

If I hold the sensor 'right side up' (as I see it) and calibrate, the broad side of the sensor board is pointing forward (x-axis), and tilt compensation seems to work reasonably OK.
If I flip the thing so its upside down, the narrow side becomes the forward pointing side, and tilt compensation gets wacky, really bad tilting to starboard, ok-ish tilting to port.

What gives with the 90 degree rotation of the x-axis? This seems to indicate that tilt compensation is less well performed when pitching (as opposed to heeling).Understandable, as heel is normally much stringer than trim but still- huh???

Anyone with a better understanding of PyPilot that can elaborate? Thanks again!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Tilt compensation compass (mpu9250/6500) - by fishy - 2021-07-30, 12:02 PM