This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I use a USB dongle for Wifi?
I have a raspberry Pi 3 B+ and I would like to use the on-board wifi as an Access Point (AP) and the Realtek USB wifi dongle to connect to my home network.  I am using Openplotter 3.  On the previous version of openplotter, I had no problem achieving this and I am using the same dongle and Pi. 

On Openplotter 3, I can connect to my home network with the on-board wifi without issue and create an AP without issue.  When I create an on-board access-point and select the wifi selection drop-down menu, it says "no wireless interfaces found" so I do not have a way to connect to my home wifi with the USB dongle.

The Real-tek drivers are installed and when I run iwconfig I can see both the on-board wifi and the dongle.

I followed the instructions in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM2kAnITNyE

and I was able to get the dongle to connect to the internet but only while an AP was not enabled.  The moment I enter into the Network app of Openplotter and create an AP, it puts me back to just an Access Point and "No wireless interfaces found". 

Is there an easy way to do this?  Thank you for any help.

Attached Files Image(s)

Messages In This Thread
How do I use a USB dongle for Wifi? - by La Zorra - 2023-05-10, 08:11 PM