This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ST7002 as control for PyPilot?
I am interested in some of the thinking you are doing. I have had a Mega setup with my own sketches  to use gps modules, mpu module, and LSM 303 compass module. for some time. The system is operational but unstable due to unknown causes. Last year I worked for several weeks trying to ungrade my system to a rpi4b due to the attraction of pypilot and the openplotter system. I had a lot of fraustration  and very limited success, then found that openplotter was not compatible with the rpi4 (they failed to document this at the time). My output is to two "drives" - a wheel mounted gear drive with clutch using a 12vdc hand drill, and an optional hydraulic steering motor. These drives were designed and built for a mason 38 ketch with hydraulic steering. I have recently sold the ketch but removed all my autopilot system. I have bought a 45ft cutter with shaft and cable steering and a standard binnacle. This boat has a raymarine wheel pilot that appears to be rated at about half the size needed  - these things are pretty mickey mouse and my thoughts spin towards re purposing the raymarine controller and HMI button unit and installing my own drive from the old boat. There is a 2016 vintage raymarine charter and digital color radar that displays 
but does not appear to be networked. Raymarine with their proprietary seatalk seems like a bottomless pit so I was wondering, like you, if the mega could be used as "universal" networking multiplex/modem or what ever. Signal K was a pain with openplotter so I wouldn't return to trying, however pypilot does install easy and the BBN system also installs easy to get AIS, and other data. The mega is a far better IO device than rpi. I had also bought a betaflight flight controller to try out as mpu/gps  etc. I have yet to try setting it up. 
It would seem better to look at if nmea2000 hardware could be used to make the overall system compatible with purchased sensors and such, and make it easier to get used marine instruments incorporated if they come cheaply to you later on.   
I would appreciate making contact with you at burgoynebc@netscape.net
Richard
SV Kelaerin

Messages In This Thread
ST7002 as control for PyPilot? - by rbergevoet - 2023-08-30, 11:54 AM
RE: ST7002 as control for PyPilot? - by burgoynebc@netscape.net - 2023-08-31, 01:07 AM