This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bluetooth remote to control autopilot
The main issue with bluetooth (other than being less reliable than the RF remotes) is that on the pi zero bluetooth has to be disabled to use the hardware serial port used for the motor controller which is the most reliable way. It is possible to use the usb port for this, but I dont really recommend it.

More recent pi versions have more hardware serial ports, and my more recent pypilot hat supports a secondary motor controller output for either a second motor controller, or to avoid using the first one (so you could still have bluetooth) but this only works in pi 4/5 and pi zero 2.

With that said, there is not bluetooth software written right now to control pypilot with a bluetooth remote. Did you consider making the pypilot a wifi client instead of an access point? It could then connect to a wifi network and you could hopefully avoid some issues you are having, but whatever hosts that network would also have to be running to use the wifi. tinypilot also supports acting as both access point and client at the same time which might be useful as a backup in case the normal access point is not working.

Which RF remote is "ok" but clunky? I am curious to know for better feedback. I have developed a few rf remotes in addition to the cheaper ones. The RF remotes have the lowest latency and are therefore better for manual control in my opinion.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bluetooth remote to control autopilot - by seandepagnier - 2024-03-24, 06:04 PM