This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pypilot on Micropython?
Hi Sean,

Thanks again. I have learned a great deal from this thread. It has been awesome to learn more of the scope of the pypilot project, such as the work on rtimulib.

It is only recently that I have started experimenting with  micro-controllers and micropython with plans for a variety of tasks around our boat. This discussion has lead to a lot of new discovery for me. I had dipped my toes in with the Pi Pico W and now see so many alternatives with lots of potential.

I'm a long time Linux user (since 1998), initially as a software development but diverted 20 years ago into becoming a Methodist Minister, now with retirement approaching I'm getting back to the joy of coding with some Rust and Python.

My conclusion from this is that while interesting, porting pypilot to micro-controllers with micropython isn't a great use of time/resources. By the time a top spec ESP32 is tricked out with all the memory it is way more expensive than a Pi Zero. Plus as you say the combination of a battery backed Pi Zero (with potentially a standby pypilot) solves the key issues.

I did find this thought interesting:

Quote:Another possibility is to use 2 or more esp32 to run separate services, with one running the core pilot, another for the web service and so on.

The idea of packaged micro controllers for the individual services is interesting and potentially a nice way to add redundancy. But again the time to make the changes to the way the services within pypilot communicate may not be a great return.

Dave

Messages In This Thread
Pypilot on Micropython? - by dave42w - 2024-04-09, 03:41 AM
RE: Pypilot on Micropython? - by CapnKernel - 2024-04-09, 12:13 PM
RE: Pypilot on Micropython? - by seandepagnier - 2024-04-12, 05:41 AM
RE: Pypilot on Micropython? - by dave42w - 2024-04-12, 02:36 PM
RE: Pypilot on Micropython? - by dave42w - 2024-04-09, 03:57 PM
RE: Pypilot on Micropython? - by seandepagnier - 2024-04-12, 03:39 PM
RE: Pypilot on Micropython? - by dave42w - 2024-04-13, 01:00 PM
RE: Pypilot on Micropython? - by mgrouch - 2024-04-12, 03:53 PM
RE: Pypilot on Micropython? - by seandepagnier - 2024-04-13, 03:34 PM
RE: Pypilot on Micropython? - by dave42w - 2024-04-13, 06:18 PM