This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hall Effect Rudder Position Sensor
(2024-05-11, 10:13 PM)SVHM Wrote: If you think of a how the Hydrovane works, it's an auxiliary rudder type vane. That's what I have made.  The Hydrovane uses gears, mine uses a trim tab, like the old Navik vane.  The trim tab is on the aft end of the oar, just like an aircraft aileron.  The response of the oar twist is directly proportional to the deflection of the tab.  The oar moves immediately. The boat movement, is probably slower.  Since it is not a servo-pendulum, it doesn't turn the boat rudder and I expect it to be slower. That's why I want to control tab deflection precisely.  If the oar moves and the boat doesn't,  the controller could try to over compensate.

I looked at the datasheet for the mlx90316 and it is the IC with many configurations.  Your wiki says I need a 3 wire sensor.  I didn't  see any in there.  I was hoping for a standard 3 wire setup that I can just hook up to the controller and done.

Nothing is "immediate"

Ok so you are using auxillary rudder.   I understand, what it comes down to then is, the trim tab arrangement will reduce some steering power from the steering oar compared to rotating the oar directly but greatly reduce the amount of power needed to turn the oar.     If the oar were well balanced I would suggest just somehow driving the oar directly, but in any case it is all up to you.

The pendulum style is popular because when the boat slews sideways, the force on the pendulum oar automatically corrects this motion, so they work well in big waves.   In flat water there is no advantage and they are more complex.

In any case,  the mlx90316-200 is the 3 wire version you would be looking for.    It has 8 pins, but only 3 are used in that version.    There are other versions.    My rudder feedback sensor uses this chip, and runs the 3 pins used into a 3 wire cable.

Messages In This Thread
Hall Effect Rudder Position Sensor - by SVHM - 2024-05-10, 07:46 PM
RE: Hall Effect Rudder Position Sensor - by SVHM - 2024-05-11, 04:40 PM
RE: Hall Effect Rudder Position Sensor - by SVHM - 2024-05-11, 10:13 PM
RE: Hall Effect Rudder Position Sensor - by seandepagnier - 2024-05-12, 12:36 AM