This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PWM Motor Speed Control
I would like to know if there is a setting that can control motor RPM using PWM in PyPilot?  I have seen PWM mentioned in the documentation but I don't I understand it. 

I just pulled a power steering motor off of a car and an A/C clutch, which I believe I can fit to the motor, but I did not get the whole power steering unit off of the steering column.  I attached the motor to 12v and it works but seems a bit fast.  I have no way of knowing the true RPM and I can't find any specs on it, yet similar units are shown as having a rotation speed between 650-1000 rpm.  Ideally, I would be able to use a setting in PyPilot to vary the motor speed.  If this is not possible, could I purchase a commercial pwm controller and place it between the motor controller and the motor?

Alternatively, I could go back to the junkyard and pull the remaining stuff, but unfortunately the prices at the junkyard are now so high that it doesn't make much sense even going to a junkyard.  It also seems like the rest of the system seems to add a bunch of monkey motion without useful additional function.  Plus, it would be a lot bulkier. Connecting a clutch and pulley directly to the motor shaft would be a much cleaner setup.

Messages In This Thread
PWM Motor Speed Control - by SVHM - 2024-08-28, 01:42 PM
RE: PWM Motor Speed Control - by SVHM - 2024-08-30, 12:34 AM
RE: PWM Motor Speed Control - by seandepagnier - 2024-09-02, 02:22 AM
RE: PWM Motor Speed Control - by SVHM - 2024-09-02, 03:26 AM
RE: PWM Motor Speed Control - by seandepagnier - 2024-09-02, 08:24 PM
RE: PWM Motor Speed Control - by Erickalon - 2024-09-05, 11:14 AM