This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
moitessier hat - AIS reception varies by power source
Hi All,

Got my Moitessier hat from the post office this morning, and all setup and tested.

Initial results have been very promising - working really nicely so far, got good GPS lock without external antenna, and quite a bit of AIS data with a fairly small antenna.

One thing I've found is that the reception / general range I seem to get with the AIS seems to change quite significantly depending on the power source.

That is to say - when I use mains with a standard pi transformer, I get significantly better range and reception than when running off 12v->USB power.

I was trying to think about possible reasons for this:
- Could it be that there is more fluctuation in voltage on the 12v circuit?
- Could it be related to grounding? 

Or...any other thoughts?

It was quite pronounced and noticeable - i'll see if i have some screenshots with openCPN on my phone for comparison.

I've attached a quick picture of the setup.

[Image: tWzndJfTYVEwo6JPrq9CXp61jgaV1a2ydGGsJTgW...4-h1390-no]

Messages In This Thread
moitessier hat - AIS reception varies by power source - by jaziniho - 2018-08-04, 07:50 PM