This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Standard TX/RX Serial to USB for Autopilot with Latest OpenPlotter Release
I've got the latest Open Plotter Release on a Raspberry Pi 3B and so far so good. I've had trouble with the cheaper 2-pin Serial to USB connectors where they don't have a unique serial number, and for some reason assigning by port location forced the PI to choose only one (one of three) adapters to favor and ignore the other two. I only paid $4 for these cheap ch341 chipset adaptors, so I ditched two of them and bought a better quality Nextech serial to USB adaptor with the 5 wire pinout and TX/RX led indicators.

I'm using this new adaptor to talk to my Raymarine Autopilot and compas via NMEA0183 in/out wires.
I'm following the documentation in your how to PDF file linked to in this forum to test out my connections using the diagnostic buttons, but the PDF hasn't been updated since the last open plotter release. There is no longer an option under serial port direction for IN/OUT or BOTH - only IN or OUT but my adaptor is a BOTH type adaptor. How do I test out the datastreams on both the RX (IN) and TX (OUT) ports on my single send/recieve adaptor to make sure I've got connection and NMEA0183 data?

Dan

Messages In This Thread
Standard TX/RX Serial to USB for Autopilot with Latest OpenPlotter Release - by svbalachandra - 2018-10-26, 02:09 PM