This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Project low cost autopilot
(2019-03-18, 01:57 PM)Sailoog Wrote: Our experience with pypilot:
We use MPU-9255 and MPU-9250 IMUs. 9axis and Kalman filter too, good enough.
We do not recommend Wifi or RF connection due to latency. Actually you should not have intermediaries as possible or format conversion from data sources.

We have limited resources and we have already pypilot implemented, so I do not know if we will have time to develop and maintain complex openplotter or opencpn plugins but hopefully you get volunteers here. If we are talking about just editing and sending a settings page no problem. Let's see what you need finally. Feel free to use openmarine as you need (dedicated subforum, moderators...)

Thank you very much Sailoog for your sincere answer.
As you can imagine, I've analyzed Sean's pilot project with a loupe, and he did not convince me for many reasons. Is a system complicated to install, that if used with openplotter depends on the MPU-9255 or MPU9250, on the one hand and on the other hand, of the peripherals that OpenPlotter has. The MPU-9255 is a cheap IMU and for some applications it is sufficient, but it has a high noise that causes inaccuracies and, on the other hand, its sensitivity to interference, especially magnetic. It has a power driver for drones, so it is very limited (we have foreseen that our pilot works with nominal currents of 50A and peaks of up to 290A). It also lacks SeaTalk and depends on Raspi for the NMEA183 and N2K sentences. That dependence for everything is a source of problems when working in real time. Probably for a small boat, with low speed, with calm sea and little wind is enough, but in worse conditions, with greater speed of the boat, I have my doubts about if it will know how to make it work well. Do not see this as a criticism, it's just my thoughts that motivated me to discard that autopilot.

Sean's work, I think it's a breakthrough in the world of open sailing, and I take this opportunity to congratulate Sean for his excellent work, which I believe has opened a door in the field of open autopilots. You will always be welcome in the development of the new pilot.
On the other hand, that opinion of complexity is not only mine, that opinion is also held by many more people. If you observe other forums, they almost always give up due to the complexity of the pilot.
For these reasons, I decided and convinced Tehani to build our pilot, which in the worst case will always be cheaper than the commercial. He has already developed as engineer other industrial projects controlling motors with maximum precision and with remote control (cable and radio). I can give you details of that.
One of the first concepts that we consider is that it must be simple and in only one PCB (except Gyro and GPS), in such a way that any person without knowledge can also install it. When I go to the ship I want to sail and enjoy and not worry about technical problems. On the other hand, complex installations need more time and, at times, involve big problems when passing the cables and a greater potential risk that something will fail.
We have the ability to build the pilot in such a way that you do not need OpenPlotter. After all, it has its own GPS and its own IMU of better quality and reliability than the MPU-9255, and also its own sensor management software. The advantage is that it would not overload the Raspi computer where OpenPlotter is running.
And it will be usable from Windows or with any commercial Plotter.
Plugins for OpenPlotter or OpenCPN can be left for later when we have more time. As I said in the first publication, which may not have been clear, we have offered to do the plugins with your support. The idea
was to control and configure the pilot through OpenPlotter, for example, the adjustment of the rudder stops, the response sensitivity, etc., but it can also be done with a simple smartphone, and from the remote control.
The autopilot is already very advanced. I remember how his OpenPlotter project emerged from the proposals of the people, which made OpenPlotter very powerful, modular, effective and very popular. So I thought that by sharing the project, they could come up new ideas that we can implement on autopilot.

Finally, thanks for the support of Openmarine.

Messages In This Thread
Project low cost autopilot - by gypsylyon - 2019-03-17, 02:32 PM
RE: Project low cost autopilot - by Sailoog - 2019-03-17, 02:57 PM
RE: Project low cost autopilot - by gypsylyon - 2019-03-17, 03:44 PM
RE: Project low cost autopilot - by Sailoog - 2019-03-18, 01:57 PM
RE: Project low cost autopilot - by gypsylyon - 2019-03-18, 09:10 PM
RE: Project low cost autopilot - by seandepagnier - 2019-03-19, 12:24 AM
RE: Project low cost autopilot - by BellaX - 2019-03-18, 08:30 PM
RE: Project low cost autopilot - by gypsylyon - 2019-03-18, 09:44 PM
RE: Project low cost autopilot - by Sailoog - 2019-03-18, 09:25 PM
RE: Project low cost autopilot - by Sailoog - 2019-03-18, 09:32 PM
RE: Project low cost autopilot - by gypsylyon - 2019-03-19, 10:35 PM