This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
automatically selecting autopilot gains
Is there some way we can detect the current conditions from wind sensor and inertal sensors and simplify it to a 2 or 3 dimensional space for "current conditions" ?

From here, you could tune the gains and once they are favorable press a button "save" to record these settings.

Once enough settings are recorded in enough sea states/conditions, we can interpolate the gains all the time as conditions change. If the user overrides the interpolation with either manual tuning, or some sort of autotune algorithm, this would allow a new update to be recorded to improve the settings.

This is somewhat tedious interaction and probably would take a while and different conditions until enough is know, but I think it could be interesting. Once we can tune a few boats this way and compare their settings, then a generic default settings, and try to reduce the number of changing parameters, or map the gains to a different state space with less dimensions. This would give a head start and make tuning future boats much faster, but it might even help to enter the boat type or characteristics as well (once we have lots of data)

I like this approach since it uses little processing power and is easy to understand, but I still plan on developing other pilots such as neural network approach because they have potential to do better than human steering which is not really possible with PID (unless human is tired)

Messages In This Thread
RE: automatically selecting autopilot gains - by seandepagnier - 2019-07-15, 02:57 PM