This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connecting a GME AIS to RPi
"This will damage the AIS unit if left like that" - What's the evidence for that unequivocal statement?

In providing a USB intended to be connected to, for instance, a PC, then I am sure GME were aware that the device it was being connected to was going to provide a 5V supply. It is part of the USB standard(s).

My AIS also has a USB connection and that is used by the AIS so that it can be configured at home without being provided with 12v that is required to deliver the full functionality of the device. You couldn't do that without the unit getting a 5V supply from the USB connection.

I don't know what model you have but, for instance, the manual for the GME T120 says a similar thing. You connect the AIS to your PC/laptop and use the software provided by GME to configure it. It is working as GME designed it. They are relying on the supply from the PC to provide sufficient power to do that configuration. If you placed an isolator in there then there's no way the AIS could get the power. Once configured then you could argue that the 5V from the PC/Laptop/Pi is no longer required and yes you could put in an isolator but why? If GME have done their design correctly then there is no risk, especially from a puny Raspberry Pi.

As for laptops blowing up USB ports, I'm not sure I'd set much store by GME's "wisdom"

Messages In This Thread
Connecting a GME AIS to RPi - by Tacmed - 2016-08-24, 12:46 PM
RE: Connecting a GME AIS to RPi - by baltika_no_9 - 2016-09-06, 04:44 PM
RE: Connecting a GME AIS to RPi - by Tacmed - 2016-09-07, 01:07 AM
RE: Connecting a GME AIS to RPi - by baltika_no_9 - 2016-09-07, 08:43 AM
RE: Connecting a GME AIS to RPi - by Tacmed - 2016-09-07, 09:19 AM
RE: Connecting a GME AIS to RPi - by baltika_no_9 - 2016-09-07, 09:43 AM