This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't access slew settings
Thanks Sean. It would be really great if you could update the SD image, or just advise how to update the files for the web interface myself over sftp and SSH?

Even better if you can include the port number setting for client mode in the web interface while you are at it. WiFi client mode is rather pointless when it's not possible to specify the port on which the server sends the NMEA stream. I could use wifi to output the heading and rudder if it could talk to the Vesper XB8000 as a client on port 39150, at least as a temporary solution until USB output is working. A page in the web interface to set which sentences to send and which to listen would be great too.

While there are minor benefits to having the plugin integrated with open cpn the important thing is to have a self-contained and functional stand alone autopilot which works out of the box for everyone, regardless of what platform they are on.

On that basis I think the LCD menus should include ALL settings too, the tinypilot should still function to steer the boat even if I have no other working device. The tinypilot can't steer the boat until slew, max current etc. are all set so they need to be accessible on the LCD.

If an opencpn plugin is a requirement then why not just frame the web interface in an opencpn window, then you only have one thing to maintain and no problem getting the UI to work properly in android? If you make it lynx browser compatible you can use it from command line too, no need for extra command line scripts. If you didn't have to maintain all those other interfaces then you'd have time to make the web interface really powerful.

I love working with Linux but don't happen to have a functional Linux device on board except Android ones and even if I did I don't have access to enough data or bandwidth to install an OS plus opencpn, plugins, updates etc on it. Just getting the new tinypilot image was a battle on WiFi ashore. I had to buy a lot of drinks! (Yeah ok no sympathy for that!) I standardised on Android for all the nav and instrumentation tablets on the boat. Watchmate for instruments and opencpn for nav. I chose Android because there are no cheap Linux tablets, let alone waterproof ones.

Messages In This Thread
Can't access slew settings - by syohana - 2020-01-07, 01:02 AM
RE: Can't access slew settings - by seandepagnier - 2020-01-08, 08:01 PM
RE: Can't access slew settings - by syohana - 2020-01-08, 08:37 PM
RE: Can't access slew settings - by syohana - 2020-01-09, 03:12 AM
RE: Can't access slew settings - by seandepagnier - 2020-01-09, 08:05 PM
RE: Can't access slew settings - by syohana - 2020-01-09, 08:32 PM
RE: Can't access slew settings - by seandepagnier - 2020-01-10, 01:11 AM
RE: Can't access slew settings - by syohana - 2020-01-10, 01:30 AM
RE: Can't access slew settings - by seandepagnier - 2020-01-10, 02:03 AM
RE: Can't access slew settings - by syohana - 2020-01-10, 04:09 AM
RE: Can't access slew settings - by seandepagnier - 2020-01-10, 04:36 AM