This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AIS: USB dongle or via integrated VHF radio?
Thinking about how to integrate AIS into my new OP install.  As it turns out, my new to me (last year) old sailboat does not currently have a fixed VHF radio.  I probably would have purchased a simple used ebay fixed VFH at some point.  If I want AIS in my OP install, I've been pondering these two choices:

(1)  AIS USB dongle and another antenna or a splitter.  I've read about getting the correct splitter (which is expensive).  Putting up another antenna is complicated and not inexpensive.

(2) Install a VHF radio that outputs AIS via NMEA 0183 like the Standard Horizon GX2200.

Any thoughts about complexity/cost?

Messages In This Thread
AIS: USB dongle or via integrated VHF radio? - by w7thmark - 2020-01-08, 06:19 PM