This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I2C port configurable
Currently I'm using Openplotter on an Odroid.
Difference between Odroid and  Pi4 is mainly /dev/i2c-2 vs /dev/i2c-1 and the lack of integrated wifi.

I don't use Openplotter-Wifi since I can use the tools from the distribution for that.
The difference in I2C ports cause a lot of small nagging problems, which should not be there if the software was generic.
Hardcoding the I2C ports speeds up the development in short term, but I believe it will ultimately causes more problems then necessary.

With regards,
HR

==========
Of the Raspberry-only tools I guess the ones below should work with minimal changes:
- Xygrib
- I2C sensors
- Pypilot

I haven't tried the Moitessier HAT, 1W and analog sensors.
I2C works mostly if I make a softlink from /dev/i2c-2 to /dev/i2c-1, but the mpu9250 fails currently.

Canboat can be installed using "apt-get --build source ...".
With canboat, openplotter-can and signalK also work.
I expect Xygrib to work to work in the same way.

My current system is Ubuntu 18.04 with the extra packages from OpenPlotter as below:

openplotter-can                           2.1.0-stable
openplotter-dashboards              2.1.0-stable
openplotter-i2c                            2.1.0-stable
openplotter-pypilot                      2.0.7-beta
openplotter-settings                    2.2.0-stable
openplotter-signalk-installer        2.1.0-stable
canboat                                       1.2.4-stable
xygrib                                          1.2.7 (github)

The OpenCPN installer works generally, but I currently use OpenCPN from github with more and newer plugins than OpenPlotter can provide right now.
(Until the package manager from OpenCPN becomes fully operational I guess.)

Messages In This Thread
I2C port configurable - by hreuver - 2020-03-08, 05:59 PM
RE: I2C port configurable - by Sailoog - 2020-03-09, 11:35 AM
RE: I2C port configurable - by hreuver - 2020-03-09, 11:01 PM
RE: I2C port configurable - by Sailoog - 2020-03-10, 05:00 PM
RE: I2C port configurable - by hreuver - 2020-03-14, 04:05 PM
RE: I2C port configurable - by sebba - 2021-05-04, 04:33 PM