This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Use the RPi 4 in a closed box with no fan
Photo 
(2020-06-07, 07:33 AM)SkipperEarly Wrote: Interesting thread! - here just some other points:
- Argon40:
   - can I still use the Moitessier hat? - and how does the magnetic cover impact sensor behavior?
   - it says expose the gpio's but picture is unclear - how practical is it to use the gpios and are all of them avail.

- this waterproofing discussion comes up ever so often and I agree with above. Its not about protecting the raspi from submersion but the maritime environment is harsh to electronics and reduces its normal life span. So some form of protection is essential even if replacement hw is rather affordable.
Are you protecting your raspi with some sort of corrosion spray (- there are many but what are the preferences?) or has anyone even tried to just epoxy everything into a case - obviously with exposed heat sinks and/or alu bottom.

Moitessier hat : nope, forget the idea !
GPIO Access : see attached picture ; the lid uses strong magnets fixed in the case itself to be (firmly) kept in place, prohibiting compass vicinity ...
So far I use no anti corrosive protection at all, still waiting to see what will happen ...
Obsolescence seems faster than corrosion : Pi2, pi3B, Pi 4-2 or 4 GB, new pi4-8 GB, etc. !

Attached Files Image(s)

Cordialement
Didier B
Pi4, SSD USB3, OP 3.0 Touch SK 3.2.1 OpenCPN  5.8.4 :  Thank you  Thank you  Thank you

Messages In This Thread
RE: Use the RPi 4 in a closed box with no fan - by Didier B - 2020-06-14, 06:59 AM