This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wifi interference in harbor only
I have built a prototype in an aluminum casing that works perfect when I am at home. I've measured the wifi radio signal with wavemon and the readings are perfect, lot's of range and a strong signal. 

In order to avoid Wi-Fi channel "duplicates" in the harbor, I've scanned the harbor for channel usage and I have chosen a channel that is not being used.
However, I cannot always logon to the access point that the raspberry is broadcasting. Sometimes it says "authentication failure, wrong password, or cannot login to this network."

The problem is only sporadic, doesn't happen always. However, I do have to point out that I have a steel boat. But, in the past, all Wi-Fi access points from any device did not have any problems at all. My understanding is that metal blocks the signal more than polyester, so much is true, but... I don't need to broadcast through any walls as the raspberry is directly in the cabin. Even when I am next to the raspberry and I lay my phone or tablet directly on it, it will not connect!

When I am further away from my boat, or at home it works instantly. I have no power problems, power supply is very stable and powers sufficiently. I've even tried removing the top lid of the casing to see if this was the cause. Also, when sailing out of the harbor, the problems persists.

So far, I have tried numerous places on the boat and found one that works. Outside of the boat on the sprayhood, I can connect, and then I can bring the pi inside and it will stay connected? 

I have been in IT for over 14 years, no radio expert but I have been too close with "my nose" to this problem and looking for some fresh opinions from you guys.

What I will now try to do is:

- transfer the pi to another casing
- try the sd in a pi that i know will work
- try a pi4 instead of a 3b+

I was wondering if any of you guys have anymore ideas. Also I have a question, some harbors are really a nightmare with Wi-Fi. Lot's of interference from all the masts and steel, and lot's of existing signals so that you cannot "join in" with your extra AP. I am starting to think that Wi-Fi is not the best system anymore for a headless system and wondering if there are alternatives, maybe Bluetooth, or even LoraWan? But then, how would I broadcast the webservers and RDP?

Hope any of you guys have any experience with above, looking forward to your stories.  (and support) Wink

Messages In This Thread
Wifi interference in harbor only - by jamos.tan@gmail.com - 2020-07-20, 09:48 AM
RE: Wifi interference in harbor only - by monos1 - 2020-07-20, 05:48 PM
RE: Wifi interference in harbor only - by abarrow - 2020-07-21, 02:28 AM
RE: Wifi interference in harbor only - by abarrow - 2020-07-21, 12:39 PM
RE: Wifi interference in harbor only - by monos1 - 2020-07-22, 04:35 PM
RE: Wifi interference in harbor only - by monos1 - 2020-07-22, 05:02 PM
RE: Wifi interference in harbor only - by monos1 - 2020-07-22, 08:32 PM