This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
From-scratch build for wheel steering (hardware)
Hi all,

I'm currently in the (very long) process of building my auto-pilot, and while I have the software & electronics part pretty much figured out, I'm stumped on the hardware side. For context, I have wheel steering.

It looks like most everyone here has started from an existing autopilot (at least in part), but I currently have nothing of the sort, and I'd like to figure out the best / cheapest way to get a functioning autopilot.

The easiest way would probably be to buy just the drive unit for a wheel pilot, but it's ~500$ on Ebay which seems a bit excessive for just a motor & some plastic bits.

I'd actually prefer to mount the whole thing directly on the rudder quadrant belowdecks, so I've looked at linear actuators, but my main question here is how do you "disconnect" them when you want to steer manually? I've tried searching for ones with clutches, but they mostly seem to be geared towards overload protection, not straight-up disconnect. Can anyone recommend some products here?

The other avenue I've thought of is a hydraulic cylinder with a "bypass" solenoid valve that just lets the fluid circulate between the two parts of a piston until it's turned "on", then it goes to a pump.

So, to sum it up, the current options I'm thinking of are:
- Buying the drive unit for a commercial wheel pilot
- Finding a linear actuator that can "free-wheel"
- Assembling a hydraulic system

Any other options?

Messages In This Thread
From-scratch build for wheel steering (hardware) - by emilecantin - 2020-08-07, 10:03 PM