This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
From-scratch build for wheel steering (hardware)
(2020-08-29, 04:37 AM)Ted Coats Wrote: Hi,

I circumnavigated the South Island of New Zealand last southern hemisphere summer using this arrangement - very successfully. Super low power usage so no worries powering it from solar panels. So successful that it completely displaced my windvane self-steering into second place - even when more or less hove-to in 40 knot+ conditions in Cook Strait.

Cheers
Ted

I was also on the idea of installs an Electric Power assisted steering unit for its reliability and torque. Great to see someone did an endurance test, As I want to circumnavigate with the device. Another reasons why I am in favor is because the EPAS (or EPS) had an Planetary gear already fit into it. If it has a planetary gear, why do you still have the engage function? Does the planetary gear has too much resistance? Great video here: https://youtu.be/em1O8mz7sF0?t=335

Furthermore, Staying in the automotive scrap place, have you thought of the Electronic Clutches used in cars. Video here: https://youtu.be/RFC5jMhUm4s?t=39 . I'm not sure however if a the clutch has no play since it is designed to spin only 1 way. Using a electronic clutch, you would be allowed to fit it below deck. What are your thoughts on this?

Messages In This Thread
RE: From-scratch build for wheel steering (hardware) - by PieterO - 2020-11-19, 01:02 PM