This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moitessier Hat.. standalone mode??
(2020-08-27, 11:17 PM)Max1947 Wrote: Ciao monos1, how about a nice step by step guide for old beginners like me? And maybe some explanatory photos of the various connections? Thanks in advance good wind, always!

It is not too complicated. Just install the Hat Moitessier on the Rpi2 and install the SD card with openplotter version moitessier.

It is necessary to use that version because the moitessier driver can not be installed on Rpi2 and gives an error when trying. However, if we put the SD card with the driver already installed, it works great. We can not update the system but as it is a black box and we want maximum stability is not planned to do so. Just update the Signal K server from the same server as you need the most recent version for Seatalk connections.

I don't have any photos because I didn't plan to document anything. Also, there are no other connections to make than the one to Seatalk. For this I had to solder three wires at these points of the HAT:

[Image: mJUHDQk.png]

Then it is connected to the Seatalk network using an optocoupler as explained in the forum.

[Image: f3Q0bax.png]

The red Seatalk cable together with ground is also used to feed the 5 volt converter of the Rpi2 and so the black box starts together with the installed ST60 devices.

Regarding the control of the black box through the network I did it by connecting it only once to a screen and configuring the network to an ip 192.168.43.10. I used that range because Android phones give that range and I always use a phone to create the AP point.

I have two phones. One is the personal 4G Internet connection and the other is waterproof and shockproof, it is the one I use in navigation, without a SIM card. It is only used as navigation electronics.

When I sail at sea I activate the AP on the phone outside but when I sail near the coast and want Internet access is the personal phone that makes AP. In both cases I have defined the AP with the same name/password. So, no matter which one I activate, the black box connects to the AP I have activated at that moment.

The rest of devices, phones included are also configured to connect to the same AP name - password so whenever there is an active AP all elements are interconnected.

Then it's a matter of using the available tools to control the black box. VNC, as usual. Signal K is the simplest of all since any web browser of any of the devices can be managed. And from another Linux system like Rpi4 we can use ssh. For example, to configure the compass with pypilot just open ssh with:

ssh pi@192.168.43.10 -X

and from the remote console do:

openplotter-pypilot

And we will see how the application openplotter-pypilot opens in our screen to make the necessary adjustments on the calibration of the compass.

About the configuration of the Signal K server I have only added the plugin to set the time using the GPS, the one to convert all data to NMEA0183, the one to output by UDP to port 2000 to use the Navionics application for Android and the one for derived data to calculate the real wind and things like that.

Messages In This Thread
Moitessier Hat.. standalone mode?? - by monos1 - 2020-08-22, 07:19 AM
RE: Moitessier Hat.. standalone mode?? - by monos1 - 2020-08-28, 08:15 AM
RE: Moitessier Hat.. standalone mode?? - by blkd - 2020-08-29, 06:38 AM
RE: Moitessier Hat.. standalone mode?? - by Rooco - 2020-09-27, 08:13 AM