This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Solve ST2000 fluxgate compass problem using PyPilot?
Hi folks,

First time poster here. Great to find this community.

I'm looking for some advice regarding my ST2000 and the poor performance of the device going downwind with substantial quartering seas on the stern. What I observed is that as the wave begins to overtake the sailboat and lift the stern, the AP initially steers in the wrong direction, sometimes going all the way over, even though the boat heading was not yet affected much. Then, as the wave starts to yaw the stern, now the AP reacts by pushing the tiller over in the other direction (the correct direction). Under the right (wrong?) conditions the boat sometimes will then round up into the wind, which of course is not good. My suspicion is that the compass is being adversely affected by the pitch of the boat (stern getting lifted by the wave) so that it thinks there is a change in heading when actually there is none.

To address this, what I think I might like to do, is replace the compass with an external IMU/controller, possibly using the PyPilot.

The questions I have been so far unable to answer definitively:

Can I use the ST2000 as just a dumb actuator, and control it from a device like the TinyPilot?

https://pypilot.org/store/index.php?rt=p...ry&path=71

Can the TinyPilot control the ST2000 such that heading information is taken from the IMU and used to steer the boat?

Do the ST2000 and PyPilot support the necessary NMEA 0183 sentences? What sentences would be used for this purpose?

Thanks for any comment.

Messages In This Thread
Solve ST2000 fluxgate compass problem using PyPilot? - by madhatter101 - 2020-10-15, 04:11 PM