This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to drive Brushed motors with Brushless ESC's?
(2020-10-26, 09:08 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: I modified brushed_tgy significantly to make it work with pypilot but in the end I no longer use because it has higher power consumption (two atmegas instead of one)  and the mosfets aren't as good either.

If you have a mystery esc, you will need to map which IO pins drive which mosfet gates and other pins such as temperature sensor and redefine them before recompiling and flashing the brushed_tgy firmware otherwise you may very well end up with smoke.    I tested with blue series and afro esc as well as another type, but there are many more and they all use different pin outs.

I am using VESC for my boat's electric motor and ebike but not yet for autopilot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgMlcdPjUc4

This would be a great esc, but it uses much more idle power (doesn't matter much though) as well as still needs adapters for isolation and a little bit of code written to support pypilot.   Then it would work for brushed as well as brushless motors (which should have an angular encoder on the motor shaft)    I would eventually think using a large outrunner motor on a ball screw with this arrangement would make an incredible actuator for an autopilot with high speed and efficiency while also working at low speeds and giving force feedback.

For a brushed motor, the VESC is almost a good fit, but after adding the needed components for protection (I already fried a VESC)   as well as supporting everything needed, they become less cost effective than the motor controllers I'm already making for brushed motors, but not by a lot.  For brushless they seem a good fit, but I've only used in sensorless mode, and sensored mode is needed.   Now FOC control is reportedly buggy (vesc can smoke) with version 4, and vesc 6 and later are also very expensive, but maybe FOC mode isn't required for an autopilot control, it would just make it more powerful and efficient.

I watched your video - very cool!!

The VESC seems to be geared for very high current applications - like skateboards, e-bikes and your boat motor but are there suitable "low power" (and lower cost) versions for driving an actuator? I'm assuming that 1.5 to 3A is all we should need.

Messages In This Thread
RE: How to drive Brushed motors with Brushless ESC's? - by garysmith - 2020-10-29, 10:55 PM