This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Survive USB3 Interference
You may be aware of the high level of RF Interference caused by the very (too) high speed of USB3.0 circuitry.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/...paper.html  Angry

Such interference do jam the satellite signals aimed to GPS receiver (signal level around -162db !), when gps receiver is located in the vicinity of a Raspberry 4,
practically <= 2 m form an Argon40 M2 case (Argon M2)

I suspected the USB3 'bridge' of the Argon40 M2 to be the "escape way" used by the RFI to jam my GPS receiver.
So I tried to shield it (as suggested by the above linked white paper from Intel corp.), and ... it worked Exclamation

I tested using miscellaneous GNSS receivers, keeping any other condition strictly identical :
     - without shielding : no fix, even after a long wait ;

- with shielding : instantaneous Fix, at each try !

Shielding is made of aluminum 'diaper' grounded by simple contact with the the USB male connectors and blocked with a small piece of adhesive tape.
Of course shield design could be improved, and mainly offering a better grounding ! But now, these bloody interference are gone ! Big Grin

Experimentation context : one Raspberry Pi 4 4GB ram, one SATA SSD 120GB, of course one Argon40 M.2 case, one raw USB3 bridge,

one shielded USB3 bridge, use of GPSD and GPSD clients, various USB GPS receivers based on UBlox 7 and UBlox 8 chips...

Attached pictures : Argon 40 M2 case with unshielded USB3 bridge, shielded USB3 bridge.

Attached Files Image(s)

Cordialement
Didier B
Pi4, SSD USB3, OP 3.0 Touch SK 3.2.1 OpenCPN  5.8.4 :  Thank you  Thank you  Thank you

Messages In This Thread
Survive USB3 Interference - by Didier B - 2020-11-04, 06:38 PM
RE: Survive USB3 Interference - by Sailoog - 2020-11-04, 06:58 PM
RE: Survive USB3 Interference - by Didier B - 2021-02-21, 06:59 PM
Improving Argo40 M2 enclosure - by Didier B - 2021-04-22, 06:25 PM
RE: Survive USB3 Interference - by aitonos - 2021-04-26, 07:48 PM
RE: Survive USB3 Interference - by Didier B - 2021-04-27, 09:36 AM
RE: Survive USB3 Interference - by aitonos - 2021-04-27, 09:40 AM
RE: Survive USB3 Interference - by Ugarit - 2021-05-24, 12:09 PM