This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Passive notifications from node red OP2
I originally posted this on the node red forum because I thought it was a node red issue but now after some additional testing I realize it is more likely related to Signal K/Openplotter. I have been trying to create passive notifications from node-red for quite some time now but I am not able to find a way to make it work. I am running OP2 on a raspberry pi 4.

I was using the ui dashboard notification node but this essentially acts as a pop up in the browser. I am usually running OpenCPN in the foreground with a node-red dashboard running on the browser in the background. I didn't really want to just pop the browser on a notification because it may not be important enough for me to switch over and look at the dashboard. I want to use a passive notification so that it will pop on the screen over OpenCPN.
I installed the node-red-node-notify node and I installed the prerequisites of
libnotify-bin and growl but was not able to get this working. After days of banging my head against a wall I finally gave up on this and tried a different approach. I installed and ran lxqt notification daemon. I have also used the libnotify Notification-Daemon and the Xfce4 notification daemon. I am able to create pop up notifications using all of these daemons by using the notify-send command in the terminal but I cannot create the notifications from node-red by using the exec node. I tried putting the command in a script and again I am able to run it from the terminal but not from node-red. I have changed permissions to all for both the notify-send command and the script. Still no success. I don't get an error from the exec node it just does not create the notification.

I finally thought of another approach. I have a version of node red outside of signal k. I ran a test in that environment and both the node-red-node-notify node and the notifiy-send approach worked. I’m not sure why it doesn’t work in node red inside the signal k server authentication. Any ideas or suggestions on how to get this to work?

Messages In This Thread
Passive notifications from node red OP2 - by plefneski@rogers.com - 2020-11-11, 03:49 AM