This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Logging battery Amps
I want to monitor battery current In/Out using an INA219 and my existing NASA BM1 100A/50mV external shunt.
Data to be fed into an ESP8266 running ESPEASY and then on to OpenPlotter via MQTT

Ive read Paddyb's thread in "How I did it" but I'm a little unclear on a couple of points...

1) Can you draw a heavy load through an external shunt in parallel with the onboard without blowing the onboard shunt?
If the load is drawing say 50A (e.g. battery charging) doesn't 50A get pulled through the (parallel) shunts thus destroying the (3.2A) on-board shunt?
I know the simple answer is to remove the on-board shunt but I note above that Paddy just "piggy-backed" the INA219 onto the external shunt - I'd like to understand why that didn't result in Blue smoke !

2) Unfortunately although INA219 is supported in ESPEASY it doesn't have a calibration option to support external shunts. 
Has anyone used ESPEASY with an INA219 and an external shunt and if so how did you calibrate the external shunt?
Did you simply use a formula in ESPEASY ? and if so do you have the formula for a 100A/50mV or a 50A/75mV shunt (yes I know I'm lazy)  [Image: rolleyes.png]

Thanks - Keep Safe

Messages In This Thread
Logging battery Amps - by affinite - 2020-11-14, 11:30 AM
RE: Logging battery Amps - by baltika_no_9 - 2020-11-27, 04:41 PM
RE: Logging battery Amps - by holgerw - 2020-11-27, 06:16 PM
RE: Logging battery Amps - by PaddyB - 2020-11-27, 07:35 PM
RE: Logging battery Amps - by affinite - 2020-11-27, 08:54 PM
RE: Logging battery Amps - by PaddyB - 2020-11-27, 09:13 PM
RE: Logging battery Amps - by affinite - 2020-11-28, 11:59 AM
RE: Logging battery Amps - by PaddyB - 2020-11-28, 02:39 PM