This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heading values changing wildly
(2021-01-02, 10:50 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: pitch and roll should both be zero sitting level once you level the sensors

I just want to check, by "level the sensors" do you mean to hold the module level, or does it mean to run a levelling process?  If the latter, is it the one I posted in the screenshot?

(2021-01-02, 10:50 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: You can plot the raw sensor values using "pypilot_scope_wx" or just dump them to a terminal with something like

"pypilot_client -c imu.compass"

Thanks I'll try this.

Are these values corrected somehow, or are they directly from the chip?

(2021-01-02, 10:50 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: Anyway,   you may need to calibrate the accelerometers.  about 20-30% of mpu9255 I received need this calibration to be able to work properly.

Just to confirm, by "need to calibrate" do you mean do what I showed in the screenshot above?

(A bit strange, the MPU9255 I first tried worked fine at the start of 2020).

(2021-01-02, 10:50 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: As for the compass heading changing wildly..  this indicates either the magnetic sensors are defective, or there is a stray magnetic field nearby.   Perhaps there is ac power or something?

I'll do some more tests.  The problem has occurred in my shed at home, and on the boat.  I have a sensor app in my phone, the heading doesn't have the same problem when the phone is in the same position as the autopilot, so I don't think it's environmental.  The heading is a bit off in the shed, but it's steel.  If it's a signal, perhaps it's coming from the autopilot itself.  But the problem is happening when the motors are off.  I'll try just the RPi and MPU9255, nothing else.

(2021-01-02, 10:50 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: Otherwise you may need a different mpu9255

Thanks, I'll try some different ones.

Messages In This Thread
Heading values changing wildly - by CapnKernel - 2021-01-02, 01:47 AM
RE: Heading values changing wildly - by rastam4n - 2021-01-02, 05:27 AM
RE: Heading values changing wildly - by CapnKernel - 2021-01-02, 11:17 PM