This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this motor suitable ...
I have been researching building an autopilot for my old steel sailboat for a long time, and am finally at the stage where I am gathering the bits.  I am moored at a rundown site of an old shipyard/chandlery and I went up to one of the buildings to grab a spool of network cable I had stashed up there from when I set up a wifi network for the docks, and as I'm walking through the building sitting amongst all the junk on the floor is this motor, apparently a 12V AC blower motor (pm354). 

I tried to look up the specs on stall current and draw but there did not seem to be that info on the automotive sites I found the motor listed on. Is anyone familiar with this type of motor and if it will work well. When hooked up to 12V it spins quite well in both directions.

That leads to my next question, is should I order the basic motor controller for this motor, or should I wait to pull the trigger until Sean releases the new heavier duty controller. I plan to be driving the inside helm steering wheel (hooked up to a hydraulic steering system).  I really don't want to have to tap a new pump into the old 2 line wagner system then have to figure out how to bleed it all.

This is all for this wonderful boat that I call home on the West Coast of Canada, named the Scallywag.

Thanks for any info that may help,
Seamus

Messages In This Thread
Is this motor suitable ... - by Sparhawk76 - 2021-01-08, 10:32 PM
RE: Is this motor suitable ... - by seandepagnier - 2021-01-09, 03:23 AM
RE: Is this motor suitable ... - by Sparhawk76 - 2021-01-09, 05:00 AM
RE: Is this motor suitable ... - by seandepagnier - 2021-01-09, 02:30 PM
RE: Is this motor suitable ... - by Sparhawk76 - 2021-01-09, 06:37 PM
RE: Is this motor suitable ... - by seandepagnier - 2021-01-10, 05:49 PM