This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this motor suitable ...
After a bit of testing with my multimeter it seems to draw 1.4-1.5amps spinning with no load. Fingers adding friction brought it up to about 5 amps before my fingers couldn't stand it.  When I hold the spindle with a pair of pliers to completely stop it and briefly connect power it shows about 11amps.

[/quote]
It is probably ok with the standard controller for that motor then.

Quote:Google netted me the info that they are specced to run at 4200rpm.  How much reduction would you reccomend? One idea I had was attaching a 10 tooth pulley to the motor and a 120 tooth pulley to the center cap of my wheel, with a continuous MXL belt, which I can relatively easily order from robotics stores online. Would this potentially be enough reduction?
If you have two stages of that. This would give you 144:1 reduction which would be about right if it actually spins 4200 rpm at 12 volts unloaded. Is there any way you can determine the rpm?

10 tooth pulley is not very efficient. The smallest I would consider is 16 tooth, but I prefer 24.. then I 3d print larger pulleys like 180 or 240.

How many turns does the wheel rotate?
Quote:The other idea if this motor isn't suitable is could you point me to a part number of a good windshield wiper motor thats not too hard/expensive to track down at the local to me auto shops.

As for rudder shape a picture speaks a thousand words:
You can use just about any windshield wiper motor. They typically have 2 windings, one is 60rpm the other about 90. This you can reduce down to get 15-30 rpm you need to turn the wheel.

your rudder appears unbalanced.

Messages In This Thread
Is this motor suitable ... - by Sparhawk76 - 2021-01-08, 10:32 PM
RE: Is this motor suitable ... - by seandepagnier - 2021-01-09, 03:23 AM
RE: Is this motor suitable ... - by Sparhawk76 - 2021-01-09, 05:00 AM
RE: Is this motor suitable ... - by seandepagnier - 2021-01-09, 02:30 PM
RE: Is this motor suitable ... - by Sparhawk76 - 2021-01-09, 06:37 PM
RE: Is this motor suitable ... - by seandepagnier - 2021-01-10, 05:49 PM