This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why "Headless" OP? Lost my Wifi connect to Internet
New to OP, and trying to be very systematic in testing things before throwing them together.   Thus last weekend I set up a RPI 4 with 8 gb and tested with 32 bit Raspian install and used VNC to get RPI and iPad talking.  I used an AT&T hotspot box and ran both remote control and have a continuous internet connection.  No fuss...even if I'm outside cell range, the hotspot box serves as the wifi hub (haven't noticed any latency in that setup).

So today I thought I'd setup the "Headless" version...and lost internet connectivity.  It'd be OK if I could *at least* toggle the wifi, but this is a pain.  And worse...how is one supposed to use the chart downloader in OP if the wifi is locked down to just the peer to peer connection? 

I mulled simply adding the software I needed piece-by-piece to my own Raspian build, but though a programmer in an earlier life, the advanced setup looks to be a pain.  I have a Pi and hotspot that together pull < 4.5 amps at 12 volts...I'd like the Pi system to be functional away from the dock...and for applications beyond OP.

So the question is, am I losing anything significant by using the base build and VNC for remote connection?

Will

Messages In This Thread
Why "Headless" OP? Lost my Wifi connect to Internet - by Will - 2021-01-11, 09:45 PM