This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Actuator moving to max in standby
After creating a working workbench setup of the pypilot autopilot. I created a integrated working autopilot for my boat. My first use was sailing downwind in a gentle 10-12kts wind. And it was performing nicely. But at some point it started to drift from the set course. As indicated in a previous topic, this was due to a low P-value. Later I incrementally increased this from 0.0030 to 0.0060. With this value, the course steered comes back to within 1° a 2° of the set course. This second test with this increased P-value was done on engine power with a flat sea. So it still could be that I should change other values too, to balance the increased P-value.

I do have one rather strange malfunction after about 4-5 hours of use. When placing the autopilot in standby, it immediately starts to extend the actuator to maximum. Where it stops the power due to the integrated limit switches in the actuator. In previous operations, this didn't happen. When I want to engage the autopilot again (by placing the actuator on the tiller), I have to decrease the length of the actuator to fit on the tiller, put pypilot into "auto" and quickly place this on the tiller. I am not sure how this could occur all of a sudden. One thing that comes into mind, is that I didn't ground all the unused analog inputs. Could that be the source of the problem?

Some basic information about my setup is:
Computer:
RPI-W Zero,with 9250, nokia display and 6 buttons
MotorController:
Arduino Nano, VNH2SP30 without rudder, voltage, limit sensors connected

And some photo's from my setup:

regards:
Wouter

Messages In This Thread
Actuator moving to max in standby - by Vic - 2021-01-12, 03:09 PM
RE: Actuator moving to max in standby - by Vic - 2021-01-13, 09:41 AM
RE: Actuator moving to max in standby - by Vic - 2021-05-19, 01:14 PM