This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone got a Battery SOC Algorithm ?
(2021-02-05, 11:24 AM)PaddyB Wrote:
(2021-02-04, 11:58 PM)SailAlpha Wrote:  I'm sure the smart battery chargers and solar controllers have remaining capacity in a battery figured out.

I'm more sure they don't!  Big Grin

For starters they don't know where the power is going, I suspect nearly all solar regulators go to float too soon as they think power going into a fridge is going into a battery. Victron might be one of the very few exceptions as their smartshunt will tell a smart regulator soc & amps in/out so the regulator knows what's happening at the batteries. I recently got a smartguage which from testing came out as a very accurate gauge of battery state of charge, very interesting running that alongside a victron smartshunt with all the data going into influxdb. with some tweaking of battery capacity on the smart shunt you can get the 2 to display fairly close output but temperature and current draw makes a big difference. Warm batteries have quite a lot more capacity than cold batteries. IMHO, with lead acid it's much more important getting them back to really fully charged (not what the regulator or bms says) often than it is know the exact soc at any given moment. 
Interesting project but so many variables with peukerts and charge efficiency all varying with temperature it is a very complex calculation to guess soc...

Yes I'm happy that I can now accurately monitor (and record) Battery voltage and amps In/Out. 
I already have a NASA BM1 on the boat which has a SOC function. The SOC function does appear to count Amps In/Out but its clearly not as sophisticated as the Victron.
In practise I ignore the SOC function and just use the BM1 as a Volt/Ammeter.
The idea of trying to emulate a Victron BM is a just lockdown brain teaser but I prefer it to Sudoku.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Anyone got a Battery SOC Algorithm ? - by affinite - 2021-02-05, 11:48 AM