This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Waveshare RS485-CAN-HAT (MCP2515)
(2021-04-14, 07:45 PM)Guttagrynna Wrote: Thanks for your posts. I got one of these the other day and now I just got it to work after changing oscillator frequency to 12000000. For some reason I had it set to 8000000. I have a small test network at home with a B&G Triton2 display where i can now see a compass heading.

And as you say, it's good value. I bought a PiCAN-M HATat around 100 Euros but it doesn't play well with my PiJuice HAT in some respects, so I believe I will stick to this solution and maybe sell the PiCAN-M.

Great News - Glad it helped you!

after my experience, I did go ahead and write the manual page for it:

https://openplotter.readthedocs.io/en/la...n_app.html

Could you check through this page and any additions you think are necessary could be added (either you add or let me know and I can add)

A section on the PiCAN-M HAT would be good if you could write one?

(2021-04-14, 08:04 PM)SCarns Wrote: That's great! I was about to suggest you look in the MFD and see if it sees anything on the STNG backbone. But, glad you figured it out.

Not familiar with the Waveshare RS485-CAN-HAT. I run the Rusoku TouCAN Marine USB adapter, which I thought was a good deal at $70 US. Got it to use the TouCAN plugin in OpenCPN, but have grown up to a full-blown SignalK setup since then, so I used the TouCAN adapter as the interface. Works fine, but I like the price of the Waveshare and have found their stuff to be quality. I have their USB hat for Pi4 and an RS-485 USB adapter for a solar project I was working on.

Good post! Thanks for sharing!

Steve

Thanks Steve!

If you look at the CAN page of the documents - you will see it there is nothing in the CAN_USB section, it would be great if you updated that section with your experience:

https://openplotter.readthedocs.io/en/la...n_app.html

thanks
Jason

Messages In This Thread
Waveshare RS485-CAN-HAT (MCP2515) - by Techstyle - 2021-02-26, 05:36 AM
RE: Waveshare RS485-CAN-HAT (MCP2515) - by Techstyle - 2021-04-14, 08:17 PM
RE: Waveshare RS485-CAN-HAT (MCP2515) - by SCarns - 2021-04-18, 05:51 PM
RE: Waveshare RS485-CAN-HAT (MCP2515) - by SCarns - 2021-04-14, 08:04 PM
RE: Waveshare RS485-CAN-HAT (MCP2515) - by ChDel - 2022-02-07, 08:59 PM