This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OpenPlotter in Model Boat?
Folks,

I've set myself a challenge of building a solar powered autonomous model boat which will (hopefully!) go around the world.

I'm just at the information gathering stage at the moment so I've broken the project up into a number of areas like hull, comms, propulsion, solar charged batteries and navigation.

The question I have is, could I use OpenPlotter as a headless autopilot for the boat?  Essentially what I'm looking for is a system which would follow a series of waypoints and automatically keep itself way from land if it moves off course.  It would also need to automatically recover from a power outage if the batteries run out of charge and drifts off course.  It would have to make relevant navigation changes if it wakes up with land between itself and the next waypoint - staying away from land is the priority over heading to the next waypoint.  I was planning to run it on a Raspberry Pi with a Grove hat to allow me to attach a number of sensors (GPS, compass, gyro, temperature, etc) which would all feed into the system.   

Could I use OpenPlotter to achieve this?  I see that OpenPlotter uses PyPilot and OpenCPN but I'm not sure I understand their relationship.  Would this combination all me to create this autonomous boat?

Please let me know if this is feasible so I don't waste too much time going in the wrong direction.

Also, I've never had any type of boat before (model or otherwise) so any other relevant suggestions of advice you have would be very gratefully received. 

Thanks muchly!

Dòchas 

Messages In This Thread
OpenPlotter in Model Boat? - by Dòchas - 2021-04-05, 01:07 PM
RE: OpenPlotter in Model Boat? - by seandepagnier - 2021-04-05, 04:46 PM
RE: OpenPlotter in Model Boat? - by Dòchas - 2021-04-05, 05:01 PM
RE: OpenPlotter in Model Boat? - by seandepagnier - 2021-04-05, 07:49 PM
RE: OpenPlotter in Model Boat? - by Dòchas - 2021-04-07, 02:00 PM