This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connect GPSMap 520s NMEA output to OpenPlotter
Hello,

I know this is quite a newbie question but i've tried everything and it's driving me mad.

I have a chart plotter (Gamin GPSMap 520s) with depth transducer, which is working just fine. Also, i have the NMEA0183 output connected to the VHF radio, which is working fine too (VHF radio gets gps coordinates).

On the other side, i have Rpi4+Moitessier HAT 2 with OpenPlotter, and i bought this RS-422/RS-485 to USB adapter:

https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B07B416...UTF8&psc=1

From the VHF instruction manual, i can tell that red wire is NMEA+ and blue one is NMEA-. But i have no clue how to connect those to the USB adapter. I know that if i connect the red wire to pin 1 (RS485 A+) or 3 (RS422 RXD+), the RXD LED starts flashing, making me think that is "receiving something". I've tried connecting the blue wire to RXD- and GND. Now that i think about it, i might have not tried connecting to B-, but i don't know if i should be using 422 or 485 for this 2-wire connection.

So problem 1: Correct wiring

In OP's "Serial" app, the device is properly detected. So i have assigned an alias, and set the data as NMEA0183. Moved to Connections tab, add to SignalK, selected "Auto", and one.

Then in SignalK the device appears, but isn't sending any data. I've tried several baud rate options (though i'm not sure which one should i use to be honest) without success.

So problem 2: Correct configuration

Any help will be greatly appreciated, and please let me know if i can provide more details, pictures, or anything else. The end goal, as you can imagine is to have the same (and more) information in OP as I have in the chart plotter, while keeping it there because for now is the most stable solution, and the depth is the last "mandatory" data missing.

Thanks!

Messages In This Thread
Connect GPSMap 520s NMEA output to OpenPlotter - by MigGat - 2021-04-05, 04:19 PM