This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Perfectly waterproof RF remote controls usable with Pypilot
With the latest HAT and his arduino, Sean has designed a fabulous autopilot with excellent ergonomics. The use of RF remote and a tablet now makes it possible to do without display and buttons on the outside of the boat. An LED connected to the clutch output of the controller arduino can provide additional information. But using two buttons to engage and disengage the autopilot eliminates the need for  LED and display.

However, remote controls  must be fully waterproof to navigate in all sea conditions.

I have found waterproof 4-channel radio remote controls 433 MHz with code EV1527 for less than € 4.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10050033..._ext_f=%7B

They are powered by 6V and are less powerful than the Sean model powered by 12V. For a boat longer than 10m or with teak on the deck, it is probably necessary to use the more powerful Sean model by adapting a waterproof protection to it. On my 9m Superchallenger MK3 with the computer 1.5m from the descent, this 4 channel waterproof remote control is perfect.

They are equipped inside with a thick waterproof silicone protection of the keys which covers the printed circuit.

However, prolonged immersion tests have shown me that the seal needs to be improved. I first chose to completely seal the back of the PCB using Loctite SI5398 (RTV silicone resin), but a few remotes have one or more push buttons that no longer work very well. They have oxidized with the gas from the polymerization.

In the end, I chose to reuse another method that had already worked well with other RF remote controls for several years. I spray TALAMEX WP100 inside the half boxes as well as both sides of the PCB. I also spray both sides of the batteries. This greasy product intended to protect the electronics from water also improves the seal between the silicone gasket and the cover. The push buttons on remote controls sprayed several years ago work perfectly. I even submerged the circuit boards of my old 315MHz RF remote control in water without damaging them.

Now I only use the WP100 which allows the batteries to be replaced, improves the sealing of the silicone gasket and improves the contact of the push buttons.

To open the RF waterproof remotes without breaking the clips, follow the instructions following:
  • Insert a knife blade on the side opposite to the cord fixing hole by levering it.
  • Once the half-boxes are ajar, they must be slid between them, moving the one with the buttons away from the cord fixing hole.

I designed protections made in 3D to handle the keys more safely without having to look and also to avoid any involuntary activation of the keys. The protection made of ASA with 15% infill also provides good buoyancy for the remote control. The stl files are on Thingiverse

https://www.thingiverse.com/j-marcmarseille/designs

• protection for a RF waterproof remote 4 buttons (buttons -1, +1, -10 and +10)
• bracket for a RF waterproof remote 4 buttons to be installed on an Autohelm helm drive with buttons -1, +1, O (desengage), I (engage)
• protection for 2 RF waterproof remotes 4 buttons to get 8 buttons
• bracket for two remote controls (4 or  2x4 buttons)

Attached Files Image(s)

.pdf   Pypilot+arduino.pdf (Size: 70.15 KB / Downloads: 300)

Messages In This Thread
Perfectly waterproof RF remote controls usable with Pypilot - by Jean-Marc Douroux - 2021-05-18, 10:09 AM